Saturday, February 5, 2011

Not an invitation

Tomorrow is the open house at Mary's school.

I really like her school.

I would really like people I know to see a Montessori classroom.

I should be inviting people to the open house.

But I am not.



First of all, like many Mormons, many of my friends are Mormon. And many of my Mormon friends attend church from 11 am-2pm. The open house is from 11am-1pm. I'm not inviting them to miss church. We're Mormon, people!

Second of all, most of my friends who are not Mormon are native Wisconsinites. I am NOT making myself look like an idiot by inviting them to a Montessori school open house tomorrow.

TOMORROW!

I'm on thin ice with these people anyway, especially since I admitted that I'd thought the Packers had gone to Florida years ago and had their name changed to the Manta Rays.

What is wrong with the people at Mary's school??? They seriously scheduled a non-football event on Super Bowl Sunday. When the PACKERS are in the Super Bowl. It's like having a school event scheduled for Thanksgiving Day.

You don't believe me? Businesses are closing their doors tomorrow afternoon so employees can celebrate with their loved ones. Sounds like a holiday to me. And last night at Culver's, the lady at the table next to us was telling her family, who were head to toe green and gold, that Sunday she is going to make an apple pie, a wild berry pie, and, oh yes, a TURKEY. Told you: It's like Thanksgiving.

Actually, I take that back. It's way, way bigger than Thanksgiving!

So, no, I am not inviting you to Mary's Montessori open house. Besides, I won't be there. I'll be at church: I'm Mormon, remember. And then I'm going home to, yes, watch the Super Bowl:

I live in Wisconsin.



P.S. Poor David. Of his two best friends, one is a Packers fan and the other a Steelers fan. David told me he hopes it's a tie.

P.P.S. We drove by the capitol tonight. It's lit up all yellow and green in honor of you know who! I didn't have my camera. So I refer you to Miz Booshay, a fellow Madison resident of PW fame, who posted a nice photo--though not one of her own--on her blog. It's actually pretty cool, up close and in person. I'm glad we took the long way home to see the capitol all festive like that.

P.P.P.S. We are duly connected to this Super Bowl, via Wisconsin and Dallas. The Packers are staying in the hotel across from my dad's office building. And we have friends who've spied on the team's practices. And I've even been to the stadium.