Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Funny bunny



This is my funny bunny.





And I'm even allowed to call her "funny bunny"!

I refer to Mary all sorts of ways: little, big, pumpkin, cupcake, beautiful, smart, sweet, babes, cute, talented, yummy, silly-bun, adorable, you get the picture. She much MUCH prefers her name, Mary, to any other noun, adjective, or combination thereof. We do get away with calling her "Bear," but I think it's because we've been doing it consistently for so long that she doesn't notice it.

The other day I was teasing her a bit, asking if I can say that she's "super smart" or "extra sweet" or "really beautiful" or "amazingly strong''--and each time she said no. Then I asked if I could say that she's funny. And, a little sheepishly, she responded in the affirmative.

"Can I call you my funny bunny?" I asked.

She nodded yes. Seriously.

I was shocked!

I realized Mary likes to see herself as funny. And why not? She is funny!

She's been telling knock-knock jokes since she could talk. They went something like this:

"Knock, knock."

"Who's there?"

Then should would make a silly face and blow a raspberry.

It was funny, trust me.

She's had potty humor down for well over a year now. She's got good comic timing. She knows that something incongruous or unexpected can bring a laugh. She uses rhyme, word play, alliteration, and a lot of physicality to get a laugh. (She also stood on her chair and showed us her bare bottom at dinner time. That did not get a laugh. Which made for a very uncomfortable moment or two between our bites of enchilada.) And now she can tell a real knock-knock joke, start to finish.

I wish I had specific examples, but I don't often pay close attention to her comedy routine, because, quite honestly, it doesn't fit perfectly with how I define my daughter. I guess I didn't expect to give birth to the class clown. What else do I miss about her personality and desires because it doesn't fit into the paradigm I've created for her? It's so odd to me that I have a daughter for whom the ultimate compliment is "funny." We've never had a comic in the family, unless you count my dad's satiric stuffed animal stories or Tio Dave's middle school antics. And I don't think there's a lot of funny bone material in Greg's DNA.

But here she is, our little funny bunny.



My children never cease to surprise me....

....if I open my heart and my mind.


P.S. I think I've struggled with this before.