Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Parental fail; Sunbeams win

On Sunday Mary began her tenure as a Sunbeam.



She was attentive, mature, and reverent.

[The above statement is not bragging. Well, maybe a little bit. But I am primarily pointing out the complexities of genetics: How one mother and one father can create two completely different children. From the same DNA. Crazy. Anyway, after David AND after teaching a, um, rather, shall we say wiggly group of Sunbeams myself, it seems ODD to me, even unsettling, for a three-year-old to be...attentive, mature, and reverent. But I'm not complaining! And neither are Mary's (WONDERFUL!) teachers.]

So now I will get to my point. When I picked up a happy and excited Mary from class, I learned from her that:

  1. She had learned she is a child of God.
  2. She did not know before that she is a child of God.

What?!! You didn't know you were a child of God?

No.

And I'm thinking, "Haven't I sung I Am a Child of God to you about 4 million times?! Like for hours on end in the middle of a night filled with fever and coughs? Like every single bedtime last year because I had to put you and David to bed at the same time in the same bed and he insisted on his mother singing 3-5 songs a night and that was always number one on the list? Like over and over again driving alone through Colorado? It didn't stick?? None of it?"

I guess sometimes you have say it...and not just sing it.

Anyway, here's one more thing I can add to the list of really basic, really important things I have failed to teach my daughter. Good thing she is only three.

Also, thank goodness for Sunbeams.

Speaking of Sunbeams, here are two more pictures of our very own little Sunbeam.






We love her a lot!

(And God does too.)