Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mystery of the month



Life is full of mysteries. Like how the gingerbread man escaped. And, even more baffling, girls.


This is the current kindergarten mystery of the month. David has a secret admirer:



We are baffled!

David, as usual, is taking it all in stride: Why wouldn't he have a secret admirer?

Just after I took the above picture--an essential piece of documentation--David ripped off the candy and tossed the heart aside. (What a BOY.) Then I took a picture of him enjoying his tootsie pop.

I love the picture I took: His lips are puckered, his eyes are big, and--best of all--his hair is sticking straight up.

David religiously wears his Jedi Masters beanie hat everyday, and it makes his hair stick straight up...and it's so adorable. I just want to hug him and kiss him and tickle him every time I see that hat hair. And I finally got a picture of it! And I want to post it so badly, it's all I can think about. (Seriously. I'm thinking about that picture even more than I'm thinking about snow pants!)

But I can't post it.

Because David hates it. H-A-T-E-S.

For him, to have hair sticking up is the worst of embarrassments. (Ssh. Don't tell him his hair is pretty much always sticking up this winter because of that beanie--he loves the hat too much.) When David sees his hair sticking up, I see in him genuine discomfort with himself and flickers of shame, as he rushes comb his hair "small" again.

I want so badly to share with you the adorableness of his "big" hair. To record it for myself forever and ever. (Yes, the picture is still in my files--but things feel more lasting on my blog--partly because they're not lost in said files.) But I can't. I have to respect my son.

I knew this would happen when I started blogging almost three years ago: That one day my children would be school-aged, and I would have to respect their privacy more. That I would have to write about them in different ways.

Here's the deal: I figure if I'm wiping your butt, I can write whatever I want about you. But what happens when you, well, take care of your own bathroom needs? What can I say about you? How do I respect you and protect you.....and still have something to post about?

That's my mystery: What do I write about now that my kids are getting older? I still reserve the right to say pretty much anything I want about kindergarten because it's so dang cute. But I think next year (when I have a FIRST-GRADER!!!) will be different. Likewise, Mary is Little Miss Independent and Little Miss Self-Aware/Self-Conscious, so pretty soon I'll have to be more careful about what I send out for all the universe to read regarding her. I deeply enjoy writing about my kids, and reflecting on being their mother. And I still find it soothing to post millions of pictures. But I might need to self-censor a little more in the future. Will that self-censoring leave me with anything to write about???

One solution would be to bring another little bum to wipe into our family. Then I would have something to write about! But that is not happening soon (or ever). So a better solution would be to think of other things to post about....

But do I even think about anything besides my kids?

That, my friends, is the real mystery.