Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hair topper


Every so often Mary wishes for ribbons, bows, pigtails, or curls. This is when I run hide under my covers and pretend I can't hear her. But sometimes I give in--and then she pulls out my hard work five minutes later. In her defense, I would pull out my hard work too: It looks like a four-year-old did it.

This morning Mary was bubbling with the desire to wear this little flower clip she found. Without even trying to hide in my room, I dutifully clipped it in behind her ear. She immediately ripped it out and insisted it go right on the top of her head.



David, the resident expert on what is/is not acceptable in public, decreed the flower on top of her head "dumb." I was hoping Mary would listen to her brother. Brutally honest older siblings come in handy sometimes. But she knows what she likes, and off to school she went.

Oh, I love that girl.

As for her brutally honest older brother, he stayed home from school today with an upset tummy. At eight o'clock this morning we both went back to bed, his head in the crook of my arm.

Oh, I love that boy.

Good night. May there be no upset tummies here tomorrow. But I think flowers on top of the head are okay.



P.S. Greg was the hero again. Upon receiving an SOS text, he rushed out of the engineering building and drove to Mary's school in order retrieve a beloved Angelina Ballerina who was left behind earlier today.

I love that man.