Friday, December 17, 2010

A post not about snow pants

This post is about...

snow boots. (I told you I would branch out.)

If you think I'm having a hard time adjusting to the weather, you should spend a day or two with Mary. I think we're going to have to put her in a box and mail her south. Other than the prospect of building a snowman (which she still hasn't been able to do), Mary HATES snow. It seems to have turned her predictable, orderly world into a cold, slushy, slippery mess...that never goes away.

As any true fashionista, Mary has chosen as her coping strategy to frame this new world in terms of footwear. Mary has organized the world thus:
  1. You may walk on the snow only in your snow boots.
  2. You may walk in your snow boots only on the snow.
I am happy with #1. It prevents soggy socks, cold feet, and ruined shoes.

But #2 is something of an inconvenience. Rather than walk down a nicely shoveled sidewalk, Mary, in her snow boots, walks beside the path in the snow. Not because it's fun, but because it's necessary. She anxiously hops through parking lots from little patch of snow to little patch of snow. Often I take pity on the poor stressed girl and carry her over the asphalt myself. No amount of begging and cajoling can convince her that it's perfectly safe to step on the "black part" in her snow boots.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

It's going to be a long winter.