Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas picnic

Christmas evening, after lots of playing, lots of trash collection, some naps, and a few other activities (posts forthcoming), we had our traditional Christmas picnic.

I think Christmas dinner is a tough one. A formal turkey/ham dinner with all the fixings is a great way to celebrate...but I REFUSE to spend the day in the kitchen! Christmas is the one day of the year when I want more than anything to get down on the floor and play with my kids. Generally, I'm terrible about getting down on their level, but on Christmas Day, I am suddenly possessed by another woman--a mother who builds Legos and plays board games and dresses princesses AND LOVES IT. Poultry is NOT coming between me and my kids.

BUT I also want Christmas dinner to be something special. Meaning, out of the ordinary. But easy (see paragraph above). So, the last few years we've settled on having a Christmas picnic. We have some combination of leftovers, finger foods, and deli salads. We eat it picnic style, with paper plates and even on the floor. To make it extra special, we eat in front of the T.V. We normally don't let our kids eat in front of the T.V., so that little twist makes the Christmas picnic a HUGE HIT. It's kind of ghetto, I know. But it's fun. And special. And easy. And maybe one day we'll graduate to a ham.

But for now, the Christmas picnic is perfect.





We also enjoy having a little birthday celebration for Jesus. One year we had pie. Last year we shared a sprinkle-drenched cake. This year I told the kids they could pick ANY TREAT in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD for Jesus' birthday. I steadied myself, preparing mentally for a giant banana pie or tiny pink cupcakes or a hundred layer chocolate cake or any number of crazy things they may want.

And they picked Chips Ahoy. It was unanimous.

Sigh.

Anyway, all afternoon Mary practiced singing, "Happy Birthday to Jesus!" Here she is doing a birthday dance with her princess.



At last, we sang to Baby Jesus.


And blew out the candle.


And ate our Chips Ahoy! cookies.

Because nothing shows God our love like packaged cookies?????

And now I am going to end this embarrassing post.