Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Click

Just in time for Christmas, something clicked in Mary.

She plays!

Up until a week ago, she would occupy herself by.....not occupying herself and instead hanging on me, whining to her dad, or tackling her brother. To be fair, she would spend a lot of time cutting, pasting, and coloring. (Yes, and Dora.) But very little playing with toys.

Until now!

I found this in her room the other day.


I love how each baby has a binkie, a book, and an entertainment item (like a mitten or Uno cards). And Pink Octopus is there to protect them all. Love it, love it.

She'll disappear entirely to her room or downstairs to play dress-up and babies and shopping and going on an airplane and princess and ballerina. Occasionally she moves her whole operation to the Christmas tree in the living room, in part to be closer to me. Which I don't mind. I like my children to want to be close to me--just not physically hanging on me all day.

I am loving the new Mary. Now that the world of imaginary play has opened for her, she is clearly a much more fulfilled little girl. She is happier...

...and so it follows that we are all happier.