Friday, December 10, 2010

Nostalgia

I recently created a 2011 calendar filled with pictures taken of my kids throughout the past year. When the calendar came in the mail, Mary snatched it from my hands, disappeared into her room, and studied it carefully.

Then she rooted around in the back of her closet, found the crate of too-small summer clothes ready for storage/charity, and stuffed her drawers full of those tiny tanks and mini shorts. Since then she has been carefully recreating outfits from the calendar and squeezing herself into them. Plus, she sometimes throws into the mix an extra winter shirt or pair of pants underneath or on top. (Often this is at my insistence. She can't have bare shoulders and her capris have to at least reach the tops of her boots. It is 7 degrees, you know.) Her outfits are a little unusual, especially in December.

Mary, I miss summertime too. But wearing a tank top can't bring it back.