Thursday, April 14, 2011

Summer in Nauvoo

Today it is cold.  Bitter cold.  No fair!  Aren't we in the middle of April?  Why does it feel like the middle of winter?

To warm myself, I'm posting pictures from our second day in Nauvoo.  Saturday was beyond spring.  At 80 degrees, it felt like summer!  (We didn't quite know what to do with ourselves.  Sunscreen?  Water bottles?  Shorts?  Never heard of them.)

It was a bright, beautiful day.

Leslie and I rose early, so we could attend the temple.


It is a beautiful building.  The outside was rebuilt as a replica of the original building; the inside, though modified to meet modern needs, maintains the integrity of 19th century design.  It's beautiful.  (I think I mentioned that already.)  The morning was spent in peaceful meditation and worship.  All temples are special, but this one is really special.

When Leslie and I were finished, we met the troops out front for a few photo ops.  We politely and carefully weaved our way around the wedding parties.  I don't think my kids ended up in anyone's wedding photos--but, if so, thank goodness for Photoshop.

This first one is my favorite.


But, of course, there are plenty more.







This is David on the bluff where the temple faces out to the Mississippi.


We lunched at the bakery attached to the Zion's Mercantile.  It was a very pleasant meal.  Afterwards, the kids picked out lollipops and wandered around the front yard.



You cannot have too many pictures of a sweet little girl with a lollipop.




Especially if she has her baby too.





Mary wasn't the only one with a lollipop.



After lunch, we coaxed the kids into visiting a few other spots.

Like the brick yard.  Look at these cute boys!


No visit to Nauvoo is complete without a visit to the brickyard to receive your souvenir red brick.


Leslie and I slipped over to the home of Lucy Mack Smith, Joseph Smith's mother.  I meant to take a picture of the beautiful set of china that belonged to her sister-in-law.  Sigh.  But I did get a picture of the backyard, because I know you're dying of curiosity.



Then we visited the shoe shop.



Here are all the cousins gathered around, watching the demonstration.




We also visited a school.


The kids went to "school" while the grown-ups learned about Calvin Pendleton (a doctor who eventually decided to provide his medical skills and expertise for free because he felt it was the right thing to do).







Now I'm going to turn on the heat in my house.  Sad.

Another Nauvoo post to come.