Thursday, October 28, 2010

Whatever.

I decided not to work on that project this weekend. Nothing like infinite procrastination. Speaking of infinity, David prefers to work on counting to infinity rather than counting to 30 without skipping 16. Whenever I bring up the poor lost number 16, David's response is, "Whatever."

"Whatever" is David's response to just about everything. (I suppose I should be freaking out about how he already has an attitude problem, but, to be perfectly honest, I prefer whatevers and eye rolls to drop-down-and-out-full-on temper tantrums. It's hard to miss the toddler years. Besides, he's gotta be the most compliant kid I know. He still does what I ask, and if it makes him feel better to mutter "whatever" as he cleans up his Legos, so be it.)

Speaking of "whatever," that's basically how I feel about Halloween. I'm not sure if it's generally speaking, or just this year. But when I sit here thinking about Halloween, I see a big, fat, eye-rolling WHATEVER flashing before my eyes. So the whole Halloween being on Sunday this year pretty much sucks. And I'm not a big fan of what my kids chose to be. And I'm growing weary of the non-stop sugar and I love sugar so that's saying a lot. And I'm not quite sure what we're celebrating anyway, other than sugar.

And I'm feeling sorry for myself that the kids have all this time off right now and Greg doesn't.

Fortunately, this weekend (which is SIX days long) hasn't been completely lame so far. (Though my children and I have watched a few too many episodes of Say Yes to the Dress together, and if that isn't the depths of lameness, I don't know what it is.)

I have the pictures to prove our moments of non-lameness.

Wednesday morning while Mary was at school, David and I went to the Madison Children's Museum.


(Have I mentioned I am absolutely in love with my kindergartner?!)


In what may have been the one festive moment this weekend, Mary and I decorated Halloween cookies. (Full disclosure: The frosting was from-scratch homemade. The cookies were NOT.)





Greg has an exam late tonight, so he wasn't coming home after classes. We decided to meet him downtown for dinner. David wanted to eat his dinner on the stools looking out at State Street.

These may be my most festive pictures from this weekend. So savor them. I can't even guarantee the obligatory costumed-children photos.

To Halloween this year, I say, "Bah humbug."

Or, as David would say,

"Whatever."

Whatever.

Which is better than a drop-down-and-out-full-on temper tantrum.