Sunday, March 13, 2011

A week ago


A week and a day ago my kids spent their morning this way...


...in a hotel in suburban Chicago.

It was a quick trip, less than 24 hours, that included the usual stops at the temple and the Lego Discovery Center. (I think we've finally convinced the kids that the temple is at least marginally more important than Legoland.)

This time we also added the Kohl's Children's Museum to our itinerary. Here are some pictures, and consider yourself lucky that they are not accompanied by a rant about hovering parents who coax their nineteen-month-olds to do activities that are years beyond their developmental level thus making the whole experience miserable for slightly older children who know how to share and use their imaginations and are not protected by a cadre of parents and grandparents helicoptering around. Yes, I'm getting old and crusty, and, no, I don't think this it's funny when your one-year-old steals my daughter's tomato for the thirteenth time so perhaps you should stop trying to teach that little guy to share since it's two years down the developmental road and instead take him to play in the baby area, oh, and take the five adults hovering him with you, they're clogging up the place. Wait, I promised pictures with no rant.









And those were the pictures. If I'd posted them a week ago I would have had quite the rant to go along with them. (Poor Greg had to listen to me for 246 miles.) Fortunately, after waiting a week---and admitting to myself that had we lived in America when David was a wee toddler, we would have taken him to plenty of children's museums and plopped him in the middle of plenty of exhibits meant for older children and there undoubtedly would have been grandparents in tow as well---the boiling blood in my veins has simmered down.

I supposed waiting a week is the blogging equivalent of taking death breaths and counting to ten.

By the way, it was a fun museum. I just don't recommend visiting on a Saturday morning when most of the children are under age two and there are four adults for every child.