Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Survival gear

It is 40 degrees. It may reach 50 degrees today. Most of the snow in our yard has melted. And our furnace isn't clicking on every 20 minutes. What does it all mean?

I'm not stupid enough to think that winter is over. I know how the month of March toys with your emotions. But the locals have started to congratulate us on surviving our first Wisconsin winter. I take their congratulations as a sign that the worst is probably behind us, and spring may be on the way.

This has led me to reflect on how we survived the winter. As some of you may remember, I kind of panicked at the beginning of winter. And it's true that our life turned into this. But we survived! And I am not institutionalized! And I did not once check out the price of plane tickets to Florida. So how did we do it?

It's all about the gear.

  1. Mom's boots. I seriously believed I was going to make it through the winter without snow boots. What was I thinking?? That I was going to tiptoe through the snow all winter in ballet flats?! I was crazy grumpy those first few weeks of winter, and I soon realized it was because I had a footwear problem. I coveted these, but I happily settled for a less-stylish and much less expensive pair of boots from Lands' End. And it changed everything! I was no longer the victim! I felt like I could leave the house. I didn't have to tiptoe through parking lots or worry about slipping while juggling kids. My feet stayed warm (and warm toes can go a long way at preventing grumpiness). I could take a fun little romp through the snow with my kids whenever the mood would strike. Also, the boots I bought were high enough to keep my calves warm and protected when I wore my capri-length pants to the gym. I know it sounds silly, but having decent snow boots was empowering! I was suddenly confident in the showdown with winter.
  2. Mary's pink boots. I think you've seen pictures of Mary's little Ugg-like boots. (She wore them to the Dells.) They were an impulse buy, and I think they may have been the best thing we purchased all winter. They are the winter equivalent of Crocs--easy on, easy off, and no socks required. We waterproofed them so they would hold up to the elements a little better, which was a good decision. She likes them so much that she generally refused to wear her snow boots. So these pink boots have taken quite a beating this winter. But I will be eternally grateful that Mary's had a pair of boots that she can put on and take off herself. I hope we can find some similar ones next year.
  3. David's snow boots. I failed on the snow boot front at the beginning of the season. I had purchased some particularly affordable ones from Lands' End, and they were a disaster. (I'd bought these same boots when David was a toddler, and hated them. I don't know why I repeated my mistake.) Around Christmastime I finally accepted my mistake and bought new boots for the kids. Mary got these, and they are fine. David got these in a camo print, and they are wonderful! Wonderful! WONDERFUL! They are easy on, easy off. No velcro or laces to fiddle with. They keep the snow out, but they come with an extra set of liners just in case. Plus, David likes the camo print. If you have a kid who has to wear snow boots EVERY DAY, I highly recommend investing in some good boots like these.
  4. High-quality snow pants. Last spring I had the foresight to buy some high-quality snow bibs for the kids on clearance from Lands' End. I am so glad I did. I didn't appreciate at the time how important it was going to be (especially for David, who has to change in and out of his snow pants three times a day) to have good snow pants. When your kids are using the snow pants every day--and are expected to dress themselves--cheap zippers and cheap lining lead to disasters. You want zippers that will work every time, and lining that won't rip out. I've said good-bye to winter gear from Target, Old Navy, Children's Place and the like. We're regular customers at Lands' End and L.L. Bean now. (Over the years, we've even had REI and Columbia brand kids stuff--but the quality and durability of the kids stuff at Lands' End and L.L. Bean is way better.) Also, I'm glad I spent the extra money and bought snow bibs instead of snow pants. Obviously, the snow bibs keep the snow out better. But what has been more important is the absence of a button or snap at the waist. A snow bib is one long zip up, and then you're done, which my young self-dressing kids (and their teachers) appreciate.
  5. Cheap knit gloves. This was Mrs. Q's suggestion, and it has been great! I bought ten matching pairs of those cheap knit stretchy gloves. I send David to school with three pairs of them every day. That way, every time he goes outside, he has a dry pair of gloves. Also, they are so inexpensive that if he loses a few over the months (as is inevitable), it doesn't matter. We have plenty of replacements. It's been a relief not to be a stress case about David keeping track of his gloves. If he repeatedly lost one glove of a good quality $15 pair, you bet I would turn into a stress case (and a Mean Mom). I know that sending my son out into the Wisconsin winter with nothing but stretchy gloves may seem like a recipe for frostbite. But he's outside at recess for no more than 15 or 20 minutes. And I've noticed that once it gets in the single digits or below, they do stay in for recess. No matter how good the gloves, chances are they will be wet by the end of the first recess. They may be thin, but at least David gets a dry pair of gloves for every recess. That seems more appealing than having David put on some heavy, soggy, cold pair of gloves for second recess and the same even soggier pair to go home. Besides, David really likes the dexterity he has with the thinner gloves. We all appreciate Mrs. Q's suggestion. (David does have a good pair of waterproof mittens for skiing and snow fort building. We just don't send them to school.)
I am not finished thinking about winter. You probably have another post or two coming with reflections on the cold. But at this moment I am going to stop thinking snow pants, and start thinking spring.