Friday, March 18, 2011

Science fair initiation

When the science fair sign-up sheet came home, I almost immediately tossed it out. I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than do a science fair project with a five-year-old. But, for some reason, I thought the sign-up sheet would make a lovely addition to my kitchen counter clutter collection. So into the recycling bin it did not go.

Good thing. Because a few days later I wandered into David's room to see him busy with a "science experiment" he had set up on his own. He had a little fan turned on, and he was seeing what kinds of things it would blow away. He was thrilled to show me his "science experiment." That's when I remembered that my kid loves science. And he sees himself as a kid who loves science. It's one of the ways he defines himself.

I like to talk big about how I'm going to support and nurture my children in THEIR interests and help them develop THEIR talents--rather than the interests and talents I like more and/or think are convenient for me--but here I was ready to trash the science fair sign-up sheet without even asking my science-loving kid about it. I felt about two inches tall.

So we signed David up, and we decided he could do the very same experiment he had set up in his bedroom that day. Fortunately, kindergartners aren't judged, and they don't have to use the scientific method. Making observations and organizing information is more than enough. So his idea of testing out different objects with the fan would be perfect. And I loved that it was HIS idea and HIS experiment.

Here is David at the fair with the finished product.


As you can see, I helped with the cutting, typing, and some of the gluing. But the content is all David's. I love it!

This is David explaining his project to the judge.


He was so confident!


David was proud to receive a medal for participating.


I love my little scientist!



So, one science fair down......and how many to go?