Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Justin Bieber


Trust me, I'm even more shocked than you to see that name heading up a blog post.

But yesterday, in response to my inquiry about his school day, David responded, "Oh, we played Justin Beaver."

"Excuse me, what?"

"During free choice, we played Justin Beaver."

"Did you say that you played Justin Bieber?"

"Yeah."

I totally succeeded in keeping my giggles inside. (Phew!)

"Okay. How do you play Justin Bieber?"

"You build a stage and dance on it."

"Who did you play Justin Bieber with?"

"My best friends."

"Did you play with girls?"

"No, just us boys."

Then I finally asked the obvious question.

"How do you know who Justin Bieber is???"

"I dunno. I just know Justin Beaver. I think everybody does."

Good point.

"Do you know what Justin Bieber does?"

"Yeah. Justin Beaver sings and writes songs and dances."

"You're right. You do know about Justin Bieber."

"We like Justin Beaver. But some of the big kids don't, and that's not very nice. They should like him. But some big kids make fun of him. It's those first-graders."

I didn't have the heart to point out that he'll be one of those first-graders next year. And somehow I doubt that he and his friends will spend spend their time "playing Justin Beaver." Can my sweet, innocent boy stay in kindergarten forever?

And now I am going to end this post. I must now treat myself for shock, as I just typed "Justin Bieber" 8 times, and that doesn't include any of the "Justin Beavers."