Sunday, March 20, 2011

First day of spring


Today is the first day of spring. Of course, the only spring colors we're seeing around here are on Mary's skirt. Right now the world is muddy and soggy and puke brown. But there is in the air the smell of hope. You can't see the rebirth yet, but you can sense the possibility.



To commemorate the day, we hung a spring wreath on the door. (Diana, I think it's the same one you have. Sorry. You hung yours first, but, as usual, you have impeccable taste, and I had to copy you.) It will probably look a little odd with the snow we're supposed to get later this week, but oh well.

Friday was a momentous occasion. Mrs. Q announced that her students no longer have to wear snow pants every day. Snow boots are still a yes. Like I said, the world is a muddy mess. No place for sneakers. But no more snow pants! (Unless it snows, of course.) Hooray! It's the end of an era. (Until it starts again next year.)

I remember, after my family had moved to the Bay Area, my mom commenting on how she thought kids needed the structure of four seasons. I think it was driving her nuts to see my little brothers run around in the temperate California climate coat-free and carefree all year long. She thought it was healthy for a kid to have to put on a jacket occasionally. I think I get it now.

When winter first hit us here, I was bitter. I was bitter that my son had to spend over an hour of his school day every day finding his gloves, changing his footwear, fitting into his snow pants, and struggling with zippers --while his peers back in Texas didn't miss a beat of their recess rhythm. That first week of winter was miserable. It's the only time this whole year David hasn't loved school. But he suddenly hated it. He was completely stressed out. Dealing with velcro and shoes and zippers and sleaves isn't exactly his cup of tea. He dreaded getting changed in and out of snow gear over and over all day long. Really, I have never seen David stressed like that before. And it didn't seem fair to me! Why did he have to suffer like that?

But within a two weeks, the suffering was over. David was a champ. He was among the fastest dressers in kindergarten. He could slip into his snow pants, change into his boots, zip up his coat, put on his hat and gloves, and adjust his hood in two minutes flat. We saw David mature so much this winter. Sure, some of it would have happened regardless of the temperature, but I think mastering all that gear gave him confidence. He also learned the importance of routine and organization. He learned exactly where to hang his snow pants, place his boots, and put his gloves. He learned that if you have a special place for things, and you put those things there every time, you will always be able to find those things when you need them. Remember how I mentioned that we bought David ten pairs of gloves. Yes, we lost a fair amount through the months. But NONE was lost at school. (They were lost in the car or on outings or in our house--usually due to my lack of organization.) Can you believe it?? Isn't it amazing? Last fall I think we went to the lost and found every day. It was just part of the daily routine. But this winter? Not once! I am beaming with pride. I am so proud of David for rising to the occasion. I am grateful (yes, grateful) for all of the practice he had in taking care of and organizing his belongings, and I'm grateful (yes, grateful) for the opportunity he had to conquer a multi-step process (getting dressed for recess). I guess hard winters really do a hearty person make.

With that said, bring on spring. I think my kid earned it.



P.S. Today might be the first day of spring, but it is the last day of spring break. Greg's spring break, that is. Greg, David, and Mary all have different spring breaks. Grrr. Greg spent a lovely week watching kids, doing homework, researching toxic industrial explosions, going to Costco, changing light bulbs, and sweeping out the garage. He has also been following the nuclear plant crisis if Japan very closely. We are here in Wisconsin so he can learn how to quantify risk, like all the risk connected to a nuclear power plant. I'm sure they will have a lot to discuss in class this week. And we all have much to pray about.