Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day off at the Dells

David had a couple of days off of school last week. He had a few fun play dates, but I was feeling antsy, like we should go somewhere and do something. Isn't that what you're supposed to do when you have a break from school, something special?

Greg kindly readjusted his study schedule, and we decided to drive north for an afternoon of fun at the Dells. From the moment we knew we were moving to Wisconsin, we've heard nonstop about "the Dells." To which I would meekly ask, "Um, what are the Dells?" The answer was invariably something about "a really fun place with lots of fun things." Kind of vague. Eventually I was able to gather that the Wisconsin Dells is the water park capital of the world and all because some rock is showing on the edge of a river. It was hard for me to wrap my mind around, so Friday afternoon seemed a good chance to check it out.

We went to the indoor theme park at the Kalahari Resort. We refused to spend the million dollars it would cost for all-access wristbands. So we told the kids we were going to golf, and then they could each pick two other things to do.

First we tackled the 18-hole miniature golf course.

David recently finished a golf unit in his P.E. class, and he was excited to brush up on skills.


Mary employed a rather unusual technique.

She also liked to ride around on her club like a horsey. Meanwhile, David remained remarkably focused.

Again, that classic Mary technique. She was stubborn about it. Heaven help you if you try to show her a different way.

Though, she finally let her daddy help on the final hole.


After golfing, Mary wanted to do a dancing video game. David joined in (though he was careful to specify that it didn't count as one of his two things).

They had a good time.

Then Mary chose to ride on the carousel. Although the picture shows otherwise, I promise that Mary was happy and Greg was not hating life. (Or maybe he was...)


Then David and I rode on the ferris wheel. This is what it looks like at the top of a giant indoor ferris wheel.



David and I were trapped at the top for a long time. As you all know, when trapped on a ferris wheel, pass the time by kissing your sweetheart.



Love this kid.
David's final choice was the go-carts.

Mary and I came along too. (This was the first time I'd ever driven a go-cart! I'm embarrassed by how nervous I was. I kept having to remind myself that ten-year-old kids do this just fine.)




I had the cutest passenger ever. She raised her arms over her head and squealed with delight. It was fun, fun, fun for everyone!

Thank you, Kalahari Indoor Theme Park. We had a great time! Seriously. But we also weren't sad to leave. The thing about indoor theme parks? They are so LOUD! It was nice to hear my husband's voice again and not just see his lips moving.

Before stopping for dinner, I convinced Greg to drive around town some. I was still not understanding the Wisconsin Dells. Driving around didn't help much. It was theme park after theme park, water park after water park, some indoor, some outdoor. There were also dozens of fake museums, themed hotels, resort wear shops, candy stores, arcades, boat tours, mini-golf courses, and, of course, an upside-down White House.

As we drove through town, Greg observed that it was like Ocean City, Maryland but without the ocean. Good observation. But Ocean City, Maryland exists BECAUSE of the ocean. Um, without the ocean what would be the point of Ocean City? I guess that's where the water parks come in. This is the Midwest, after all. You're thousands of miles from an ocean, so if you want a resort town, you gotta build the ocean. Hence, the water park capital of the world.

But why here? I wondered. Why would the water park capital of the world spring forth in this spot?

Well, it's all because of some rock.

There are sandstone bluffs along the Wisconsin River. You can see them on a boat tour. In classic Midwestern fashion, there's a piece of rock showing, and everyone goes bazerk. I mean, do you really think this and this and this and and so on is a proportional response to this? Sheesh. Only in the Midwest. (To be fair, in the West, if there's a cluster of broad leaf trees, everyone goes crazy.)

Anyway, once I finally realized that the Wisconsin Dells are really just a place to spend money in the name of family fun (not really unlike Disneyland), I was oddly at peace and ready to eat dinner.


So in the name of family fun, we went to Buffalo Phil's, where your food is delivered via train.


Choo! Choo! Here are our beverages, including some refreshing homemade root bear.


The trains were a big hit with the kids! It made waiting for the food so much less painful.

And, finally, their meals arrived, delivered by the Rio Grande.

It was a happy, train-filled meal.

Soon we drove home, never to return again.

Just kidding.

It was a really fun afternoon. And when I look outside and see that snow, or worse, when I feel that biting bitter wind, I think, "You know, Wisconsin isn't a bad place for a giant indoor water park." I have a feeling we won't be able to resist.