Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hot Cross Buns and so much more

The Big Spring Concert!

I adored the kindergarten concert last year.  (I think I worship Ms. B, the music teacher.  Yeah, pretty much I do.)  So I was very much looking forward the first grade concert this year.  For several months I have heard the humming of "Hot Cross Buns" coming from David's bedroom while he quietly builds with Legos. (What would elementary school music teachers do without "Hot Cross Buns"?!)

I present to you the First Graders...



Cute as a button, the group.  And sweet too.  Don't you want to gobble them up?

Did you spot David?  Back row, right in the middle, green shirt.



Let's zoom in a little.


Ah, what a sweet boy.  And sweet friends too.

Now, on with the concert!

I have for you ("you" meaning my mom) a few snippets.  (Follow the links to YouTube.  My kids love to see themselves on YouTube. I think it makes them feel like "Justin Beaver.")

A painless seventeen seconds of "Old King Cole" is HERE.

I'll spare you the video, but the concert included a fun song/dance/game called "A la vibora de la mar."  This is a picture of it.


(You can just barely see David's head poking up in the very back.  He was not part of the dance/game.)

"Jack and Jill" was serious business.  David and his classmates prepared their xylophones (and xylophone-type instruments) for the number.  You can see David on the close edge of the group, in the middle of the picture.



Here they go...


The video of "Jack and Jill" is HERE.  It is short.

The "Humpty Dumpty Rap" was not short.  But it was adorable.  You have to love first-graders--they are not so jaded that they would think a Humpty Dumpty Rap is anything but fun and cool.  Please watch a little of it to get an idea of the cuteness.  Then skip to 1:00.  You can tell the kids like the Little Bo-Peep verse the best--and watch David get into shaking his behind.  The rest is just more of the same: cuteness and enthusiasm.  Take a peek!  Go HERE.

Then watch David's class do "The Little Shoemaker" dance.  David was nervous about the clapping part.  But he did a great job!  Watch his face--you can tell he's having a great time.  And so are the other kids.  I love those genuine smiles!  David has such a nice class.  (And small!  Only 12 kids!)  I cherish this little video of them.  Go HERE for "The Little Shoemaker."

HERE is an 8 second snippet of a darling little Spanish song they learned called "Los pollitos dicen."  David has been humming it for a month.

I did eventually remember that I have a zoom on my camera.  So HERE is a better view of David.  He's singing (sort of) "Hey Diddle Diddle."  And it's a short little clip.

Oh, and I did promise you "Hot Cross Buns," didn't I?  Go HERE for the very short grand finale.  (And, again, what is elementary school without "Hot Cross Buns"?)

Take a bow!  (Bonk.)



Hooray for these first graders!

(By the way, there were half a dozen other first grade songs and dances too!  And it did not seem slow or long or painful.  It was zippy and fun.  The kids had a great time.  Oh, and not to mention all of the other grades--whose performances were at different times.  Is not Ms. B your hero now too?)