Friday, July 22, 2011

Swimming finale



For better or worse, we're finished with swim lessons this summer.  David's final Thursday evening class was yesterday, and both David and Mary finished their two-week session this morning.  They had a great time!  But I think lessons ended just in time...I think we're all starting to burn out a little.

That adorable picture up there?  From his lessons.  The lifeguards took them as a fundraiser.  I love that picture!

Of course, Mary wasn't up for having her picture taken under water.  So here's the above water shot they took of her.


I love the melted chocolate chip on her chest.  Beautiful, isn't it?  I guess that's what happens when you feed your kids in the car--they go to swimming lessons filthy.

Today I brought my camera--and I actually watched their lessons.  I have enjoyed so much sitting under a tree in the shade with my nose in a book and NOT watching their lessons.  But today I purposely left all books at home AND packed my camera.  I figured with a camera and no book, I would feel slightly more motivated to watch.  They both did a great job!  And they were so dang happy!  It was like the happiest 30 minutes of their lives!

With that camera, I did of course take a few pictures.


We arrived a few minutes early, so David and Mary played in the sand beach area for a while.  Building a river is serious work.








Then it was time for lessons.  I spied on Mary.






And I spied on David.







And I spied on Mary again.



And back to David.



I also watched David go down the big water slide!

Then it was time to get their progress reports and give big hugs to their teachers, Carly (Mary's teacher) and Gabby (David's teacher).

This was Mary's first swimming lesson, and she loved it.  She is one of those kids who is "a joy to have in class."  She follows directions, tries hard, volunteers (but not too much), and has a happy demeanor.  Seriously, this girl seems to thrive in any teacher-student scenario.  She did a great job practicing her skills.  Carly was great, and even decorated their progress reports.  She also included helpful tips for working with Mary on certain skills in the future.



My pal David surprised us all and passed level 2!  (Remember, it's not like I'd been watching his lessons.  I had no idea he was so good...until today, when I was like "Holy Triton, that kid can swim.)



David spent 14 years in Level 1.  Yes, I know he's only 6 years old, but remember that time is relative (ask Einstein), and, trust me, he spent 14 years in Level 1.  Level 1 is fine.  My kids can spend 40 years in Level 1 if they need to.  But David could swim!  But he was not progressing at all in swim lessons.  Until we realized the problem.  He would act like he couldn't swim.  So his teachers (he's had about four thousand different ones) wouldn't make him swim.  He had a good gig there.  I mean, who wants to go to the effort of doing the front crawl when instead you can have an attractive young coed carry you around the pool?  David spent years (14!) faking out his Level 1 teachers.  Until this summer--when I finally wised up and had the sense to just register the kid for Level 2.  And that was that.  The kid is a fish.  And apparently going into Level 3.

The swimming grand finale comes in a week, when we head to Texas.  The kids will have plenty of opportunity to practice their skills because there's nothing else to do in August in Texas other than hang out in the pool.  So we have plenty more sunshine, water, and piles of wet bathing suits this summer.