Friday, July 8, 2011

Fourth postscript

P.S.  About the 4th of July...

We had a fabulous evening.  Friends, food, and fireworks.  What more can you ask for?

Fear-phase David was even brave enough to try a sparkler.  (Yes, my son always holds his crotch. Don't mind him.)



Here is some of the crowd.  Did I mention it was lots of friends and food and fireworks?



A few of the families provided the fireworks, and they put on quite the show.  David thought it was the best thing ever.  When we were leaving, he said, "I am never going to forget this day!!"  And the next morning he thoughtfully concluded, "Last night was even better than playing my DS."  That is one monumental observation.  (Fourth of July = Best Thing Ever.)

One of the best parts for me was showing my kids the fireflies.  There are fireflies here in Wisconsin!  I haven't seen so many fireflies since we lived in St. Louis.  And I think there are more here.  But David and Mary are never up late enough to see them.  So, every night I see them glowing outside my windows, and I'm sad my kids are missing the summer show (but glad they are asleep in bed).  Finally, Monday night they were up late enough to see them.  The fireflies were everywhere.  As we were driving home through the farmland, it looked the like the fields were sparkling.  It was magical.  I think the Midwest might be capturing a piece of my soul.