Friday, July 8, 2011

Not so ordinary...

Look at these pictures.  An ordinary summer scene, right?








So, an ordinary summer afternoon?  Not in this family.

Mary is ghost white.  (I should seriously win some award from the skin cancer prevention institute.) How it is JULY and my daughter has the skin of JANUARY?

Um, because this week was the first time my kids played in the sprinkler this summer.  The first time!  Unless you count this, we haven't even been to the pool yet.  Sure, David is taking swimming lessons, but they are inside.  INSIDE.  We have managed to basically ignore/avoid the sun and water combo so far this summer.

What the heck?!  I'm not sure how this happened.  Wisconsin weather?  Fair skinned kids and a paranoid mom?  No neighborhood pool?  My general dislike of dealing with wet bathing suits?  (Ah, but at least it's not snow boots.)

June was a fun and busy month.  I hope July is fun and busy too.  But perhaps with a little more water, towels, and tan lines.

Shouldn't playing in the sprinklers be perfectly ordinary on a summer afternoon?