Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer!

It really is summer.  My kids are finally getting a little bit of sun and water!

Yesterday we started two weeks of swimming lessons.  I believe every other child in the Madison metropolitan area is taking swimming lessons at the same pool we are.  (For good reason; it's a great pool.)  I used the following criteria when choosing where to put my kids this summer--


  1. A preschool class for Mary.  Our city rec department doesn't have swimming lessons for the three-year-old crowd.  They have to be at least four.  Grrrr.  Yeah, yeah, it's not like Mary needs swimming lessons already.  Except that she does!  She needs to be able to do what her big brother does.  I couldn't care less if she learns to swim as a preschooler--I just want her in the pool during David's lessons instead of hanging on me!
  2. A class schedule that allows for David and Mary to be in class at the same time.  I will seriously drive to a pool all the way in Timbuktu for the privilege of having my kids' lessons at the same time.  (Did I mention how I want Mary in the water during David's lessons instead of hanging on me?)
  3. A two-week session that doesn't interfere with vacation, Lego Club, visitors, gymnastics, soccer, science camp, etc.  It would be nice if we could squeeze in another two-week session for David.  But he's also taking swim lessons on Thursday.  Plus, after two weeks of Texas in August (which translates into two weeks in the pool), I'm sure he'll end the summer a stronger swimmer.

So here are my kids in the normal summer scene of swim lessons.




This was Mary's first swim lesson.  After watching David for years, she was thrilled to be in a class of her own!  (I was thrilled too.)  She is such a good little student.

This is Mary and her class.  She's the one in pink with the wedgie.



I am loving summer.  (If you know me very well, that was a shocking statement.  Hot weather?  Little people crawling on me all day?  Not usually my thing. But this time around I am loving it.  Ah, the joy of having kids that are just a little bit older than they used to be. )  I hope my kids are loving summer too!



P.S.  Lest you think the only time David and Mary smell of chlorine is after lessons, they did get to go swimming at this very pool last Saturday.  For fun.  Thanks to their fun dad.  Meanwhile, their mom was in Chicago with these lovely young ladies...


...and the best group of teenagers on the planet...


That could be a picture straight from the New Era.