Saturday, July 16, 2011

Backyard bust

The other day my kids desperately wanted to play outside in the backyard.  But first we had to do school work. And then we had to go to the gym.  Then we had to go to swimming lessons.  Then lunch.  Then quiet time.  And then, finally, time to go outside and play!

Hooray!

David and Mary had big plans involving swim suits, sprinklers, water guns, hoses, the sand box, bath toys, and a kiddie pool.  I spent a good half hour setting everything up to their specifications...including heating up water on the stove for the kiddie pool so it wouldn't be so cold.  Am I a nice mom or what?!?

Did they have fun?

You bet.





For five minutes.

And then they wanted to come inside.

Seriously?  I just spent thirty minutes arranging sprinklers, digging out squirt guns, heating up water, and dragging that dang pool all over the backyard.  Finally, I sat down with a cold drink, put my feet up, and called my mom to chat.

And they wanted to come inside.

No way!  I was going to drink my drink and put up my feet and talk to my mom.  So outside we stayed.  For thirty minutes.  While they cried and begged and whined and collapsed into hysterics.  Mary and David (especially David) were bawling up a storm.   (And I wonder why we're not best friends with our next door neighbors.  I wouldn't want to be friends with us either.)  And finally their awful, terrible, mean mom let them inside with their sandy, grassy feet and wet swim suits.

And that was that.

By the way, did you look at those pictures?  What is with my kids and WEAPONS?