Monday, June 20, 2011

"Poland"

Last stop for us at Old World Wisconsin was the small Polish Area.  Remember, we did this all in one day, and by the time we got to "Poland," we were pooped.  (Fortunately, it was the smallest area.)

Mary took this picture of the small Polish farm.


It's actually a small home and barn combination (the barn is on the left side) that a relatively prosperous farmer built for his aging parents.  It was out behind the family's main house.  So it's kind of like a mother-in-law suite.


The stove-pipe construction wasn't a Polish trait.  It was simply an affordable and easy way to build a cabin--easy because a person could build it alone without assistance.



And that concluded the whirlwind part of our Northern European Tour.  I loved it!  I loved it so much that I was feeling sorry for myself that I don't have ancestors who settled in Wisconsin...

...but then I talked to my dad yesterday...and guess what!  I totally have Scandinavian ancestors who immigrated to Wisconsin!  Direct ancestors!  They are where I get my last name.  (Everyone has always talked about this particular family being in Illinois and Nauvoo and all that--I never realized they were Wisconsin farmers first.)  I KNEW I had some sort of metaphysical connection to Wisconsin--I could feel it!  My ancestors immigrated to Wisconsin from Norway.  So, next up?  Norway!

(Actually, I think Switzerland will be next.  That's okay.  I have plenty of Swiss ancestors too--they just didn't come through Wisconsin.)

P.S.  If Mary was "in charge" of Poland, you can assume the Polish flag must be purple, pink, or red.




No, their flag is not purple and pink.