Saturday, June 11, 2011

David's birthday fun!

David had a very fun birthday.


David's birthday fun began at school, where his class sang happy birthday to him and crowned him king for the day.  His birthday also coincided with Field Day and the Second-to-Last-Day-of-School.

At snack time he shared some cookies that we had made.  

I love how orderly the children line up after retrieving their milk.  They are waiting for Mrs. Q to set up their snack table.



David's class enjoyed the chocolate chocolate chip cookies we made.  (Can you spot the birthday boy?)


After snack time, David and his pal Bailey delivered cookies to other teachers around the school. (David was especially excited to give one to the principal--he has a crush on her.  Ssh.)



Instead of having a birthday party on the weekend before or after the official day, David suggested inviting one friend over after school to do something special on his birthday.  David's first idea was the Lego Discovery Center, but seeing how that is in Chicago, we settled on miniature golfing here in Madison instead.  David chose Bailey, and we arranged for Bailey to come home with us after school for some celebrating.

(Phew!!  What a relief this year! I almost didn't know what to do with myself without a party to plan. I'm a little sad we didn't have a chance to have all of David's friends over. But that's what play dates are for, right? I think David is realizing that quality time with one good friend is often much more fun than the chaos of a big group.)

David wanted to open his presents right away.






And what should make my kid's ears turn red and his veins pop out in pure shock and happiness?!


 Really, do you see those blood vessels?  I thought one was going to burst and we were going to have to rush him to the hospital.  

This is what brought my child to verge of death by happiness.


Yes, a Nintendo DS. He had good reason to be shocked. For years he has heard me stomp around the house declaring he wasn't going to get a DS until he was 25 and so he shouldn't dare entertain the thought of having one.  Anytime he so much as murmured "DS" under his breath, I ranted and raved and ordered him to banish the thought from his head.  So, yes, no wonder he almost went into cardiac arrest.  (Sometimes dads are persuasive and moms chill out.)

After the opening of presents, there were plenty of Lego sets to build.




And Ninjas to spin.



(David may have received a DS, but I believe this birthday will go down in history as the birthday of Ninjago.)

Next on the agenda was cake and ice cream.


When I asked David about his birthday cake, he told me to surprise him. That's a lot of pressure! It was a (very!) busy week, and my creativity completely failed me. But the cake was a hit!  I learned an important lesson about birthday cakes: When in doubt, plop a couple of cool toys into some thick chocolate frosting, and you're good to go.

Re-energized by our nutritious afternoon snack of cake and ice cream, we headed out for some miniature golfing.  The kids had a great time!


















Last but not least, David chose good old Culver's for dinner.  (Unfortunately, I have no better picture than this  from Culver's.)



See?  I told you it was a super fun birthday!