Sunday, June 30, 2013

Other Birthday Weekend Awesomenes

Saturday evening, after the birthday party, it was time for more festivities!  David opened some of his birthday presents, including a little Lego set from Mary that he had wanted so badly he almost died of happiness when he opened it.  (Way to go, Mary.)  We also grilled brats, and, as entertainment, Mary convinced her grandmas to join her in dancing to "Move to the Groove."  (Have I mentioned the force of Mary's personality when she gets an idea in her head?  Like having her grandmas move to the groove with her?)





Sunday morning, before church, we enjoyed a brunch of Wisconsin cheeses and crackers and Danish kringles from Racine.   Then David had a few more gifts to open that morning, including an I Am a Child of God pillowcase and a fluffy white CTR towel from Grammy.  (I wrapped him in that special towel when he came out of the water after his baptism.)  Greg and I also gave him a special book.  In the month or so before his birthday I put together a book (over 250 pages!) with letters, pictures, and stories from his life and his family's life.  There were letters to him from his parents and grandparents, as well as pictures and stories of his ancestors. I also included our adventures and pictures from when we lived and traveled abroad with Baby David.  And I also included some more recent thoughts and pictures (which I dug up from my blogs).  It was a big undertaking.   (And, yes, we will do it for Mary too! And Sara!)  It was wonderful for me to reflect on David, his life, and his family.  (A big thank you to mine and Greg's parents for their submissions!)


My dad reads to David the story of George and Fanny's long, long journey from England to Salt Lake City.
David and my dad look for George and Fanny's names on  a ship's manifest, dating May 10, 1943.

After church and David's baptism and confirmation, we gathered for a meal all together as a family, grandparents and cousins included.  We had one final surprise for David--his birthday cake!  

Grandpa Steve helping to put the finishing touches on David's birthday cake.

When I was putting together David's book, I came across this picture of Greg on his 8th birthday (which was also the day he was baptized).  I knew we had to do a "golden plates" cake--referring to the Book of Mormon--for David too!





To top off the birthday weekend of awesomeness, on Monday morning Greg and David took Grammy and Grandpa down to Mineral Point to visit Pendarvis, check out the shops, and eat at the Red Rooster Cafe.  (Grammy has been out to help us so many times--but we usually don't make it too many of our favorite Wisconsin spots with her.  So we're glad Grammy and Grandpa, at the very least, got to visit pretty Cornish Mineral Point.)  Not surprisingly, David's favorite part was seeing this tank as part of a memorial in the public park.


That afternoon we said good-bye to Grammy and Grandpa Steve.  We are so glad they came!  It was a busy weekend, and we so appreciated their support and help.  They have quite a few grandchildren--and they never ever fail to make each one feel special.

My parents were still here, with my dad leaving the next morning.  That evening my dad kindly took us to dinner at the yummy Hubbard Avenue Diner, where we all had dessert too.  (Too much dessert, probably.)  We are very grateful both my mom and my dad came to be a part of our special weekend, and in particular David's baptism and confirmation. What a blessing to have them here.

I definitely think it was a birthday weekend David will never forget!