Sunday, February 3, 2013

Grammy was here

After my mom left, Greg's mom came to take care of us.  Hooray!  I was certainly in better shape by then than I had been when I first came home from the hospital, two weeks earlier.  But I never heal especially fast.  And this time recovering was particularly uncomfortable. (I'll spare you the details.  You're welcome.)  While Greg's schedule is flexible, he still needed to start putting in the hours again on his dissertation.  So, and here comes my point, it was such a blessing to have Grammy here for over a week!

Grammy took care of us and spent time connecting with David and Mary.  She sat at the computer for ages watching David build this and that in Minecraft.  She and David discussed rocks, gems, and arrowheads at length.  They even printed out pictures of favorite gems that David then brought to school to share with his class.  Meanwhile, Grammy secured her role as Mary's mentor in the domestic arts.  They baked and cooked and sewed and crafted.  Mary was in heaven.  It was wonderful!

Best of all, Grammy put in some quality time doing this ...



I'm not a grandma:  But it seems like a nice way to spend a few hours, holding your tiny new grand baby and reading a good book (or watching Downton Abbey).  I think when grandmas come to help after a birth, that's their most important job--holding that baby, snuggling her close, and loving her lots.



P.S.  This isn't the first time Grammy has saved us this year!  It can be especially complicated for her to be gone so long during the school year, since she teaches piano and seminary.  We're grateful for the sacrifices she made to come take care of us!