Monday, March 19, 2012

Science fair report

Somehow, in a single year, we went from our very first science fair project to being in charge of the whole shabang!  It went really really well--thanks to the dedicated enthusiastic teacher judges, Greg's amazing spreadsheet that has me thinking Excel may not be the fruits of the devil after all, and my friend Hillary who helped me (A LOT) for no other reason than she is my friend.  Whew!  It was a lot of work.  But definitely worth it. 

But this post is not about me and my inability to ignore PTO emails.  Or about my husband who ends up taking on way more than his fair share of MY projects.  This post is about David.  Our darling growing scientist.

This year David chose to explore whether or not boats he makes out of Legos will float--and why or why not.  Greg and David (and Mary) spent a Saturday working on the project, testing the boats and reading up on the physics of flotation.  Like most science fair projects I believe, it was a family affair.





The advantage to having your parents in charge?  You and your best friend are assigned to stations right next to each other.  And your beloved kindergarten teacher gets to be your judge!  (Mrs. Q essentially begged me be able to judge David and Bailey.  She loves those boys.  And they love her!)




Bailey looked on as Mrs. Q and David discussed Lego boats and flotation.  (Bailey's project was on flotation and the Titanic.  Just as scientists should, they shared with each other their findings and learned from each other's projects.)



My favorite scientist!


Love that kid.