Friday, November 11, 2011

A post about adoption

If Greg and I ever die in a plane crash without our kids, then--

WAIT.  When are Greg and I ever EVER on an airplane together without our kids?!  Yes, we've had two romantic getaways sans kids--but I flew ALONE to meet Greg both times.  (By the way, those romantic getaways were to Montgomery, Alabama and Honduras.  What?  You don't think Montgomery is romantic?  Yeah, me neither.  But Honduras is.  Really!)  Okay, since Greg and I would never die in a plane crash together without our kids, perhaps I should say--

If Greg and I should ever simultaneously die of boredom from the books we read (a much more likely scenario), then who would we want to raise our children?

Well, we would want someone just like Dave and Brandi.  And I do not say that lightly.

I stole this picture from Brandi's blog.  It was taken in Istanbul.

Allow me tell you ten things about Dave and Brandi.
  1. We know Dave and Brandi from when we lived on an air base near Adana, Turkey.  When you live on an air base near Adana you have two choices:  You can whine and complain and be a bored bump on a log, or you can make the most of it, getting out and having fabulous, once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Dave and Brandi chose the latter.  (Proof here.)  I think that says a lot about them.
  2. They make yummy food.  I know this for a fact.
  3. Brandi worked on Capitol Hill as a congressional aid for a number of years.  How cool is that?
  4. Dave is a doctor.  One evening our little David, who was two at the time, started shrieking in pain when we put on his pajamas.  Panicked and unsure what to do, we called Dave, who came right over and carefully, tenderly, lovingly examined David.  He determined that David probably had a broken wrist, and he immediately made room in his schedule for us to come in for X-rays the following day.  Sure enough, the next morning Dr. Dave looked at the X-rays and found a green stick fracture in David's wrist.  Dr. Dave then arranged for us to see the orthopedic surgeon, walking us through every step in the process.  Dave did not have to do any of that.  But he did.  Because that's who he is--someone who willingly and lovingly serves others.  
  5. They play each other in tennis.  And they are competitive about it.  For some reason, I love this about them!  (Perhaps because they are such a devoted, committed couple--so the fact that they are so in love but can also go out and school each other on the court brings a smile to my face.)
  6. Dave and Brandi love children.  That's one of the first things I noticed about them.  They enjoy the fun physicality of toddlers.  And I've noticed they have a special gift for connecting with teenagers.  How awesome is that?!
  7. Brandi is witty and smart and kind and thoughtful.  Think about that for a second.  It's not really common for someone to have a sharp wit and a kind soul.  Brandi is the kind of friend who is fun and funny.  And she is also compassionate and loving.  And it's all for real.  What always strikes me about Brandi is how REAL she is.  
  8. Dave and Brandi are faithful.  They love God: They serve God by serving others.  
  9. Okay, so Dave and Brandi are awesome.  Super awesome.  They are super fun and super adventurous and super accomplished and super fit and super talented and super responsible and super kind and super organized and super hard-working and super wise.  Like I said, SUPER AWESOME.  But here is the most awesome thing of all:  When you are with them, you don't feel like they are super awesome.  Let me explain.  You know how there are some people who are amazing and when you are with them all you can think about is their amazingness so you feel about two inches tall the whole time and you can't really be yourself because you're so self-conscious about your un-amazingness?  Well, Dave and Brandi are NOT like that.  They are amazing, but when you are with them, you feel amazing too.  They are humble and real and genuine. 
  10. Best of all, Brandi and Dave are the parents of this adorable little guy:
This is Zach.  Don't you want to eat him up?
(This is another pic stolen from Brandi's blog.)


Don't you see why I would want my kids raised in a family like this one?

More stolen pictures. . .







And it just so happens that they are hoping to adopt.  

Zach was a miracle.  Now they are hoping for another.  Brandi and Dave are deeply spiritual, and they have felt God's hand leading them down the path of adoption.  Please read their beautiful words here.  This is a challenging journey for them. But they are strong, and wise, and faithful.  I know that God is a God of miracles, a God of mercy.  He whispers quietly into people's hearts to bring about His miracles, to show His love and mercy.

If you know someone who is pregnant and considering adoption for her baby, may I suggest that you think of introducing her to my friends?

I have to point out that I have great difficulty making recommendations.  I cannot recommend a book without qualification.  I usually hold back when people are seeking the names of good dentists, doctors, car mechanics, or hair stylists.  I never jump in with my opinion on cleaning supplies or beauty products.  You have to drag out of me movie or T.V. suggestions.  

So how could I recommend Dave and Brandi as potential PARENTS--something infinitely and eternally more important than mascara or who cleans my teeth?!  

Because I am that sure. 

Without reservation.  

Brandi and Dave are the real deal, folks.  

(I think I might go change my will now.  I do have a really boring book on my nightstand after all.)

***

Brandi and Dave's adoption profiles are here and here.
Their family blog is here.
I'd love to dish more on their awesomeness!  Just ask. As always, I'm asila77 at good old-fashioned aol.