Sunday, November 6, 2011

Black is the new slate/navy/royal-blue/red/white

A couple of weeks ago we* painted the shutters.  A very simple project that took about five thousand trips to the five thousand stores.  (How does that happen?)

They are plastic shutters (classy, I know) so we chose to stick with that special spray paint made just for plastic.  So much for choosing just the right color. . . since there were about three colors to choose from.

We would not be painting them their original color of slate.  Which is okay because I had grand plans of a nice navy blue.  Except that the navy blue was really royal blue.  And it looked terrible with the house.  So we tried red.  It was simply frightening!  FRIGHTENING. (Darn. I love red.)

By then I was panicking.  PANICKING.  The sun would be setting soon, and we an odd assortment of red, electric blue, and faded slate shutters.

So we did what I think anyone would do.  We painted them black, rehung them in the dark, and waited until morning to see if they looked okay.

They did!  Hooray!

What's funny is that just the day before I had been driving around the neighborhood, thinking to myself, "Why do people paint their shutters black?"  Well, now I have an answer.

Because it looks nice.

And now our front door is black too (and not red or white or purple or pink or camouflage--which were other possibilities) but that is another story.

But we did  hold off on the black for the garage door.  That got a fresh coat or two of the original color.  (What a difference a fresh coat of paint can make!)

The kids had a good time helping their dad yesterday with the project.  (I remember "helping" my dad paint the blue house on Rifle Street when I was their age.  Memories...)



Now that winter is creeping up on us, no more outdoor projects until spring.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad . . .

Happy November!

*When I say "we" when it comes to the actual labor of house projects, what I really mean is "Greg."  I do plenty of bossing and stressing.  But he gets credit for the work. Thank you, Greg!