Monday, September 3, 2012

Summery--Noah's Ark and Little Amerricka

By August I was starting to feel better.  In fact, one evening I even showed up to help set the table for dinner.  Greg about passed out from shock.  The first bit of housework I'd done in over a month.  We both realized it was a turning point.

As much as I'm sure Greg appreciated my help setting the table in the evenings, he probably did not appreciate how much I begged him to give up schoolwork to come on fun outings instead.  July was perhaps the most boring, monotonous month of my life.  I don't like being bored.  While I appreciate routines and predictability, I loathe feeling that life is monotonous.  It's always something I'm quick to remedy.  Except this time I couldn't!  Until August...

Even though I had ideas for fun family activities bursting from my brain, I did try to respect Greg's need to work.  But he did get dragged on a few things...


Noah's Ark

We live one hour away from the water park capital of the world.  (Did you know that?)  All summer the kids saved their allowance for a trip to Noah's Ark, which bills itself as the largest water park in the world.

It did not disappoint in size!  It was like a full-size Six Flags amusement park--except all the rides were water rides.  Like any visit to a big amusement park, there was a lot of walking.

David LOVED the lazy rivers (really??! ) and the little kid stuff. He and his dad also did one of the big slides, which was super exciting.  Unfortunately, even though we went midweek, the lines were still way too long for David on most of the big slides.  But he still had a great time.

Mary was totally overwhelmed at the beginning and emotionally shut down.  Oops.  I guess we should have prepared her more for it.  I think she thought we were going to a swimming pool.  But once she discovered her love of wave pools (of which there are two), she had the time of her life.  She can't wait to go back again to catch some more waves.



It was an exhausting day, to say that least.




Little Amerricka

One day we visited Little Amerricka, which is this little amusement park in the tiny town of Marshall.  The park is small, and the attractions are old rides that have been meticulously restored.  It's fabulous for kids!  Most of the rides are perfect for little ones.  Plus, it's all rides--no carnival games, candy shops, sketch artists, or all that other junk that goes along with amusement parks.  This place is all about the rides.  (And mostly about the wonderful Whiskey River Railway that meanders through the countryside.)  Best of all, you buy wristbands based on your height (or which rides you want to go on), or you can pay per ride, or just tag along without paying any general admission.  (This worked great for us--David and Greg got the everything wristbands, and Mary and pregnant me went for the less expensive ones.)  I loved this place.  You can even bring in your own food and drinks!  Highly recommended for families with young kids.

I took too many pictures, sorry.

The Mary-go-round

Look closely--that's David and Greg in the very front of the Meteor!

David on the monorail overlooking the park

Mary and Daddy on the scrambler

Mary said she could spend all day on the scrambler.  I'm not sure how Greg would feel about that.

Mary and I hung out on the kiddie rides while the boys did the go-carts.

Mary the pilot

Sweet Mary on the fire engines

Sweet David on the train

Mary on the train

The train ride continues, and I can't stop taking pictures of my kids.
 (Notice David's big boo-boo.  His first serious road rash!  He's a true cyclist now!)


The coal-powered steam engine

Mary LOVED the kiddie roller coaster.

David did too--even though he liked to act as if it was beneath him.

David wanted to check out the kiddie rides too.  Look at my sweethearts!

I even squeezed into this car with them.

Greg got roped into the Tilt-a-Whirl a few times.  It's too bad you can't see Mary in this picture--she liked it most of all!

Bumper cars!  Mary rode with Daddy.  And David was tall enough for his very own!

More than anything the kids wanted to play mini-golf.  I was incredulous.  Why would you play mini-golf when you can go on ROLLER COASTERS?  Are they really the fruit of my womb?

We finally obliged.  It was included in their wrist bands, after all.  And they had a wonderful time.  Sigh.

Just as the park was closing, David and Mary went back for a few more rounds on the kiddie coaster.  And LOVED it!  Perfect way to end the day.