Tuesday, September 4, 2012

And they're off!


The kids are off to school.  They woke up bright and early at 5:20 am.  Yikes!  Just how you want to send your kids off on the first day of school--utterly exhausted.  (And we'd been worried they'd have a hard go of it getting up on time.  Sigh.  Be careful what you wish for.)







Mary was so nervous, even though she's already been with the teacher and the older kids for two years.  (Good thing she was going someplace with familiar faces--otherwise I can't imagine how scared she would have been.)  Her best friend was already there this morning when I dropped her off, and I knew she would be just fine.  She threw a tantrum when I picked her up (making the transition to full-day is tough--good luck this month to all of you with kids starting full-day kindergarten).  But once she settled down and started talking, I could gather that she'd had a wonderful day.  I think she has many more wonderful days ahead. (Unfortunately, her school's parking lot is going to be the DEATH of me this year.  Grrr.)





David asked me to walk him to his classroom this morning.  (Last year he just wanted to be dropped off at the curb.)  He let me hold his hand as we walked through the halls.  He was his usual happy self after school.  He did express concern that his recesses seemed extra short.  And he is worried about having friends to play with who don't break rules.  I am so proud of him for having the desire to seek out good friends.  Homework starts on Thursday.  Wish us luck!

As for me?  I have so much to do!  But today I ignored the six-month-old to-do list.  I went to the gym, and then my friend Hillary and I went out for a long "it's nice that my kids are back in school" lunch.  Tomorrow is my birthday, and you get to ignore to-do lists on your birthday too, right?  I guess my real life starts up on Thursday...when I will have no more excuses.

Good-bye.  I'm off to give my kids extra hugs.  Because I missed them today.