Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day recap

For the record.  My Mother's Day 2011.



I like flowers (these, for example) on Mother's Day.

The kids came through for me.  Mary picked "daisies" for me.  Some are in a vase for a bouquet, and others are in another vase for a "science experiment."  (I love that my kids assume that I would love a science experiment for Mother's Day.)



Yesterday Greg took David to the store for some nice, cut flowers.  David instead chose this enormous pot of petunias.


He was bursting with excitement.  He helpfully pointed out that there are three different colors of flowers--red, white, and purple.  I love it!  Mostly because the smile on his face was bigger than the pot of flowers.  (Also, a few flowers can go a long way.)

Yesterday, while David was crashed on the couch, Greg and Mary walked to the chic, gourmet chocolate factory behind our house to procure some special sweetness for my special day.

This stuff is D-I-V-I-N-E.

First, it comes in this cute bag.


And inside the bag is this cute box.




But, oh my goodness, it's all about what's inside.


As you can see, I couldn't resist enjoying two before I took out my camera.

Seriously, these chocolates make Godiva taste like soap.


In part it's because they have practically no shelf life.  No ingredients to prolong their shelf life.  Pure, pure heaven.  They must be purchased at the factory.  And enjoyed right away.

Enjoying them right away is not a problem.


Though, I will say that they are so wonderful, that one does not wish to scarf them down.  You eat them ever so slowly, savoring each moment of the experience.  You never know if you will eat one filled with caramel or elderberry or jasmine-flavored dark chocolate.  (We do request an assortment without tea, coffee, or liquor--that whole Word of Wisdom thing.)

I am not at liberty to tell you the name of the factory, as it is right behind my house, and I'm not sure I want to be quite that specific on my blog about where I live.  But, no worries.  If you come visit me, I will take you there.  (Just be sure to brace yourself for the sticker shock.)  So divine.  If cheese and brats aren't tempting--trust me, it's worth a trip to Wisconsin for this chocolate.

Now, back to the holiday at hand.  Mother's Day!

With a little prodding, Mary marched up to the front of the chapel today at church to sing two sweet songs with all of the other children.  She looked much the same as she did during her dance recital.  Despite the fact that all she did was stand there and put her hands in her mouth, it melted my heart and made me the proudest woman in the world.  (What is with Mother's Day??  Rather, what is so magical about seeing your kids up in front of people?)  David was home sick.  Too bad because I would have loved to have seen him standing there silently with his hands in his mouth too.  (And I would have thought him the most talented child up there.)

I did not receive the requisite potted plant at church.  Instead, the money to buy flowers for the women at church was donated to a local woman's shelter.  (Excellent idea.)

This evening Greg, with Mary's help, of course, made us all yummy calzones.





Then come bedtime, I listened to him yelling at the kids to get on their pajamas and brush their teeth and take their medicine and stay in their bedrooms and go to sleep.  It was much better than listening to myself yell at them.

Mother's Day is the perfect day to take a break from being a mother.

Thanks, Greg.