Saturday, May 28, 2011

Brat Fest 2011

Hi.  I told you I'd be back for this--



In case you're wondering, that there is the Black Star Drumline.  So great!  (Much better than the aging boomers playing Janis Joplin covers.)  Every festival has a musical gem waiting for you to discover.  (My dad taught me that.) I loved that we stumbled upon the Black Star Drumline.  (You can see their summer performance schedule here.)

But the real star of Brat Fest is, of course, the brat.

When you come in the morning, you don't have to wait in line very long for your brat--


See?  There are advantages to having your brat for brunch.  Plus, you make it home in time for naps.

Actually, I think the real star of Brat Fest is this--


The condiments.

There must be half a dozen or more different kinds of mustard: yellow, white, honey, chipotle, italian herb, etc.  I went with this--


Good old straightforward spicy mustard.  Yum.

Under the condiment tent you also find chopped onions, pickle relish, and sauerkraut.  (Oh, and ketchup.)  Yum--


I highly recommend the sauerkraut.  (Now that I know from happy personal experience to #1 order a Philly cheesesteak with whiz and #2 not to order a brat with ketchup, I pretty much know everything I need to run for President.)

Do you want to know what made this Brat Fest super terrific?

Tio and Tia!

Yes, they're here!  Best Memorial Day weekend ever!  (Our family is in heaven!)

Pictures from the Big Brat Fest Bumper Car Battle--





You can bet there will be many more picture of Dave and Ale and the smiling faces of my children to come.

As for our morning, it also included a roller coaster ride


a carousel ride


(love the lemonade in Greg's pocket)

ice cream


and the Wienermobile!



Happy Memorial Day weekend!



P.S.  Greg's Brat Fest joy started yesterday morning--when he volunteered to work the 5 am shift for our church's Boy Scout Troop.  Brat Fest is one huge fundraiser.  It's staffed by loads of volunteers, and their wages go the nonprofit group they belong to.  So Greg's ten bucks an hour went to Boy Scout Troop 201.  Fundraising doesn't get any more productive, efficient, and painless as that.  (I think execs at Johnsonville Sausage could donate to the campaign of Kim Jong-il and we'd still participate.  Anyone who's had to come up with/execute a Scout fundraiser would understand how this is just too good to pass up.)

P.P.S.  When Mary orders a "hot dog with no pickle," this is what she means--


A hot dog with no hot dog.  Something tells me this girl isn't going native any time soon.