Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy May

Yesterday was May Day.

Were I an undergraduate at Washington College, I would have gone to class naked.  Except that it was Sunday, so there were no classes.  Bummer.  Fortunately, I am not an undergraduate at Washington College, nor have I ever been.  I was once, however, a graduate student there.  Luck shined down on me those two years, and I never had class on May Day.

So now you what I think about on May Day each year.

This year I was also thinking about how here in Madison May looks like March.  Small buds, some daffodils, just green grass. Doesn't that seem like March to you?  I wonder when May will look like May.  (I am now understanding why, when we came house-hunting here at the beginning of June, everyone looked so...pasty.)  At least I understand spring in Wisconsin now--it tries your patience and breaks your heart.

May Day was cold, but the sun was shining.  And I felt so uplifted by the thoughts and testimonies that were shared at church yesterday.  I am still feeling the afterglow today.

In other May Day news...

A dead Bin Laden wasn't a bad way to end the day.  Greg wisely recommended that I talk to David about it before he went to school this morning.  So I did.  Wise Dad.  Not surprisingly, it was the talk of the school.  Mrs. Q even gathered her little kindergartners together to explain what all the excitement was.  (I asked David what she had said, and he responded, "She said the exact same thing you did, Mom."  Phew!  That means I did a good job explaining it my five-year-old.)  It is odd to me to remember talking to my little seventh graders about Osama Bin Laden...and then think when his death finally came I would have a son in school with his own teacher to talk to him about Bin Laden.

And now for an announcement.

May has brought the need for a blogging hiatus.  Summertime is around the corner, and I want to be prepared.  By prepared, I mean that I want to be available for my children.  I have a hard time focusing on my kids--being really present with them--when I feel a lengthy to-list nagging at me.  This summer my to-do list is going to be the bare minimum--just enough to keep them clothed and fed and out of complete squalor.  Leaving me, I hope, happily engaged in playing chauffeur for play dates and swim lessons, in playing police officer when it comes to enforcing screen time limits, and playing teacher as we prepare our kindergartner for FIRST GRADE!  I will blog this summer--how else will I maintain my sanity?  But I know in my bones that I need to walk away for a month, to tie up all those loose ends that are choking me.  So I can look forward to a happy summer.

What will you miss?

Some of this...

yard work...






and some of that...

bike rides...



But that pretty much sums up my hopes and dreams for May.

I do plan on taking a time out from my time out on Mother's Day.  Expect pictures of my kids with flowers for me, as well as a report on their adorable performance at church.  Maybe I'll throw in a few other pictures of my kids (for my mom--it will be Mother's Day, you know).  Speaking of Mother's Day, last year I enjoyed a Mother's Day Tea at David and Mary's preschool.  It was lovely.  But not as lovely as the one Cyndie went to this year.

I will be back here at the end of the month to report on the World's Largest Brat Fest.  (Gotta love Madison!)


Bye-bye.



Until Brat Fest!