Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Be

This post is for my mom.  (Don't worry, I didn't forget to post something in her honor with all this Mother's Day hoopla.  Here it is.)  This is something my mom and I have laughed about on many occasions.

The word "be" has a special place in our home.  You see, the whole figuring out how to conjugate the verb "to be" has been a rough road for David.  In fact, "am,"  "was," and "were" have no place in his vocabulary.  So he says things like

"I be playing."
"I be in my room."
"The computer be broken."

To manage past tense, he uses the word "did," saying things like

"I did be at school."
"I did be the first one to finish!"
"I did be sad."
"Mary did be hitting me."
"You did be late."

It was cute as a four-year-old preschooler (last year, when we lived with my mom) . . . but as a soon-to-be first grader?  Not so much.  But we're working on it.

Meanwhile, Mary started talking like her brother.  Does she choose to speak like her English major mother?! Of course not!  She mimics her five-year-old brother.  So now Mary says things like

"I be crying."
"I be on my bed."
"I did be picking daisies."
"My baby did be lost downstairs."
"David did be mean."
"Those flowers did be dying."

Now, Mary, overachiever that she is, has taken BE to a new level.  She's begun replacing first syllables with the word "be."  So

"gymnastics" is now "be-nastics"
"forgot" is now "be-got"
"banana" is now "be-nana"

It's sort of cute.  But sort of not.  Seriously, when I hear a sentence like, "I be-got my be-nana when I did be at be-nastics,"  I want to go BE-BONKERS!

(Love you, Mom.)