Monday, November 15, 2010

Kindergarten krash

David's teacher warned us at the beginning of the year:

To expect our kindergartner to crash every 10-14 days. To understand that sometimes, out of the blue, very long naps are in order.

David had a big crash a few weeks ago. He had a morning doctor's appointment. On the way home he fell asleep. I put him in his bed. He slept for three hours, and only made it back to school for the last half hour. Yes, you read that correctly. He took a THREE HOUR nap. The last time he'd taken a three hour nap was....I believe,

NEVER.

This weekend was the latest big crash. Saturday evening David went to bed at 5:30! He didn't even want to open the new Legos set he'd purchased that day with his allowance--something he'd been looking forward to for a long time. All he wanted to do was read one (not even two) June B. chapter and go to SLEEP.

We were sure he'd wake up at four in the morning (best case scenario), but he slept all the way until 5:30 am. Yeah, 5:30 is a little too early for our comfort. But it could have been a lot worse. That kid slept TWELVE HOURS! I think the last time he slept TWELVE HOURS was...like,

NEVER.

He seemed recharged Sunday morning, so we all went to church. The Primary children were putting on their presentation about the Savior.

I will now briefly interrupt my blog post about my son's occasional long naps (and I know that's such a thrilling subject) to write about the Primary presentation in sacrament meeting.

(A quick description of the Primary in our congregation. It's big and heavy on the junior end of things. Meaning, for every 8-year-old, there are about 12 three-year-olds. I think you get the picture.)

David's speaking part was, "When He was crucified."

Being the supportive parents we are, we practiced with David. A lot. But he still couldn't remember his line! During the final rehearsal, he still needed to be prompted. And on the way to church yesterday, he still couldn't remember those 4 dang words--even though we'd practiced 5 seconds earlier. I was about ready to pin a paper to his shirt that said, "IT'S NOT MY PARENTS' FAULT I DON'T KNOW MY LINE."

But he did it! He walked right up to the microphone and said 5 (not 4) words beautifully, "When He did be crucified." Hooray! We were so proud of him. He looked so handsome up there. And he remembered his part!

Now, the songs were another matter. He (and his buddy Ellis) stood up proudly for every song and sat down again right on cue. But I don't believe either one of them opened their mouths once. Which, to be honest, is a success in my book! I sort of thought David's mouth might be running the whole time, if you know what I mean. Next year, maybe he'll open it once or twice during the songs. (By the way, I heard him sing (yell?) those songs back in Texas when I went to Primary too. So I know in my heart that those songs exist somewhere in that handsome head of his.)

Okay, back to the topic at hand. David's crash. (Although the fact that David didn't even sing "Follow the Prophet" should have been a hint as to what was happening. I mean, what kid doesn't sing--or scream--"Follow the Prophet"?) By the time sacrament meeting was over (oh, and the presentation was a success, of course, because how could it not be with one thousand adorable three-year-olds?), David looked WIPED OUT. He begged to go home. Since he usually enjoys attending Primary, I took him seriously and took him home. Once home, I was sure he would beg to play computer or watch T.V. But all that sweet little boy wanted to do was TAKE A NAP. And so he did. For THREE HOURS. Really. A THREE HOUR NAP after sleeping for TWELVE HOURS the night before.

And then he went to bed that night AT HIS REGULAR BEDTIME.

By that point I was pretty sure either a nap-taking alien life form had invaded my child's body, or we were going to need to take David to the emergency room. This was not normal.

But he woke up this morning refreshed and happy and excited for school. He was back to himself.

A kindergarten crash. I guess that's all it was. It's a lot of work learning about wood and French horns and repeating patterns and tying your shoes and blending sounds. Sometimes a nice big crash is in order, I suppose.

We missed you, Real David, and we're glad you're back.

(Yes, this post was basically about a three-hour nap. Very exciting, I know. Just be grateful I have promised myself not to post about Mary's three-MINUTE naps of late. Grrrr! That's a story as yet without a happy ending.)