Tuesday, January 15, 2013

One week home

It's been one week since we came home from the hospital.  I have a few pictures to share of that event.

Mary insisted that Sara wear home the same outfit she, Mary, wore home from the hospital.  Fortunately, Sara was small enough to wear it.  (Though we were fully prepared to squeeze her into it no matter her size.)


Sara had been almost completely naked almost our entire stay ... so it was almost shocking to see her in clothes.  She looked a little goofy to us--we couldn't help but chuckle.  (And I'm sure it doesn't help that pretty much all newborns look pretty goofy in clothes.)

Here is our goofy little Buddha baby in her car seat, strapped in and ready to go.


David gave Sara the hat he got in the hospital when he was born.  It says "Delivered with Love at Kent General Hospital."  It probably does not lessen the goofiness.  But it is oh so sweet!  Something from each of my kids, for the new kid on the block.


Finally, a picture of the happy parents.


The hospital stay was tiring and a little more intense than expected.  As things turned out, I ended up needing someone with me and Sara the whole time.  And that someone was usually Greg.  The man spent four consecutive nights on a chair!  (Can I hear some cheers for this guy?)  Greg and I hadn't spent so much one-on-one time together in years.  (Seven and a half years, to be precise.)  I suggested the time might have been better spent in Europe or the Caribbean instead of a hospital room.  Ah, but much better to get our sweet Sara out of the deal.  Sara is definitely worth everything a million gazillion times over.

We are so happy to be home, together as a family.  This is such a sweet, special time for all of us.  In fact, this past week has been one of the happiest of my life, despite the fact I'm still recovering.  I have been able to shut out much of the chaos of the outside world.  Sure, the kids still have school and activities and birthday parties to attend.  And I still have the occasional email that must be answered.  But life has stopped as much as is possible, and I am enjoying the peaceful time with my newborn.  Greg is back to working on his dissertation.  But he has moved his operation up from the basement to the kitchen table so he can be closer to Sara and me.  My mom is here to ease our burdens, allowing us to cherish this precious time.  And David and Mary adore Sara, and have embraced her as part of our family with enthusiasm and unconditional love.  Despite the near constant bickering over who gets to hold Sara, there is peace in our home.  I love the unhurried pace of my days.  How I can hold my newborn close, her head nestled under my chin, for hours on end.  I know this won't last forever.  That's what makes these early weeks of Sara's life that much sweeter.  What a blessing this time is for us.  For me, for my soul.  What a blessing Sara is.  She is truly a gift from God.