Monday, November 12, 2012

Aunt Marie comes to visit



My aunt Marie came to visit us at the end of October.  We were excited because we always have a good time when Aunt Marie comes to visit (like this time).  But I was especially excited because we had planned to take a quick overnight trip to Nauvoo, just us grown-up gals.  It would be short; we'd be gone just two days.  But the idea of having a couple of days in Nauvoo without having to herd kids around seemed heavenly.  Most of all, I was so looking forward to spending time in the temple there, which really is special.  I had been looking to this for months.  But, alas, I was in no shape for a four-hour car ride. It was after shedding many (bitter) tears that I finally called and cancelled our hotel reservation.  I was one disappointed gal.  Sigh.

The other fabulous thing on our agenda during Marie's visit was a jaunt down to Chicago to revisit the Science and Technology Museum.  With David's recent interest in World Wars I and II, he's been anxious to see the U-boat again.  Since the kids would have a couple of days off for Fall Break, I thought it would be the perfect time.  But, again, I was in no shape for a road trip to a museum.  More cancelled plans.  (More tears.  Mine, of course.)

So what was supposed to be a week full of exciting and meaningful excursions near and far would be a rather dull, uninspiring week.

But Marie came anyway, and, bless her, saved the day!  Rather, saved the week!  She helped around the house, cooked, and, most importantly, entertained the kids.  Her and Mary spent hours together in the kitchen baking.  Above all, Marie was patient.  She chatted with me, keeping me company while I spent ages on the sofa.  She would listen to me worry and complain after my doctor's appointments--I had three that week!  She patiently went along to the Culver's school fundraising night, David's classroom Fall Friendship Party, and pumpkin picking at Sutter's Ridge.  (Not quite as exciting as Chicago.)  I had to stay home from the church Fall Festival, so Marie took my place, passing out candy at the Trunk or Treat and looking after the kids while Greg judged the costume contest.

Marie had her birthday while she was here.  So of course we couldn't pass up the opportunity for a little celebration!  We always love a birthday celebration around here!



Marie was so wonderful that she even baked her own cake.  (Mary helped, of course.  It was a delicious brownie-cake.)



Happy Birthday, Marie! We're so happy we got to share it with you!

If you know me, you know I am not a homebody.  I did a pretty good job of resting all week, thanks in no small part to Marie.  So by Marie's last day I was feeling somewhat better.

 Let's see ... I was feeling a bit better ... I hate being home for long stretches, it was a chilly but bright fall day, we are surrounded by lovely sites here in Madison, and I had a companion!

So I took Marie down to Little Norway.  It made for a lovely morning.

The original house of the original settlers (to whom I'm most likely related)...



Little Norway is beautiful any time of year ...



And I'm glad we went.  Because it was the last day of the season, and, unbeknownst to me beforehand, the last season.  Ever!  The owner's daughter was our tour guide, and she was, understandably, quite emotional.  (It's not economically sustainable right now, so her family is closing it down while they figure out what to do.)  So, yes, I'm glad we went!

Well, Marie, thank you for coming to play.  And we hope the next time you come we can play a little harder!