Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The first gift

What better way to begin the Christmas Blogging Extravaganza than with THE FIRST PRESENT?

It was a big box to me and Greg from his parents.  And it was the kind of present you get to open early.  Hooray!

We let the kids open it a week ago.



Want to know what was inside?!

A wonderful, beautiful, fun, well-crafted, kid-friendly nativity!



This brings me so much joy!

I like having a nativity set my kids can handle.  I love to watch them play out the story of Christ's birth over and over again.

For this purpose we bought the Little People nativity a few years ago.  And I HATE it.  It doesn't come with Joseph!  (Or it doesn't come with a shepherd, depending on how you look at it.)  Grrrr!!! (Am I the only one in the world who has noticed this?!?  Why do people keep buying it?!  Why is the world not rising up in protest?!  Maybe you should save me a tent at your next Occupy event.)   So every year we take out the stupid Fisher-Price nativity that doesn't have a Joseph/Shepherd, and every year I get all upset and rant about it, and every year we dig around in the Little People toy bin for Hawaii Vacation Eddie or Garage Mechanic Eddie to fill in for the missing Joseph/Shepherd, and every year I try to laugh about it but really I'm steaming mad.  It was time to put an end to this damper on my Christmas cheer.

Grammy and Grandpa saved the day!  Or more specifically, Grammy and Grandpa saved Christmas.

This nativity is perfect.  I love it.  And I'm sure Greg loves that he will no longer have to listen to Alisa's Annual Fisher-Price Nativity Rant.  And the kids love it.  I know this because the nativity doesn't have a place.  It doesn't need to--it's always being played with and rearranged in various places throughout the living room as David and Mary reconstruct the first Christmas over and over.

I love Christmastime!  (And now I never have to worry about Fisher-Price ruining my Christmas cheer again!)


P.S.  Does anyone want a Little People nativity?  Full disclosure:  There is no Joseph/Shepherd.  But we could throw in Garage Mechanic Eddie.