Thursday, August 25, 2011

Halfway to the North Pole--Day One

Last night we returned from our three day mini-vacation to Door County, Wisconsin.  We're in love!  (I never knew such love was possible in the Midwest.)  What a perfect way to end the summer (and top off our Northern European tour--there was no escaping the Scandinavian influence up there).

While driving north through Door County, we crossed the 45th parallel, which is halfway to the North Pole.  I suggested to the kids that we go push ahead and go all the way.  But for some reason they insisted that we stay in Door County.  Glad we did.


Sturgeon Bay and the Maritime Museum


Highlights included the historic Sturgeon Bay Bridge (everyone loves a drawbridge!), the Maritime Museum (who knew the Midwest was so maritime-y?), and touring a restored turn-of-the-century tug (with my sweetheart David!).




































Potawatomi State Park


Highlights included the first of several dozen "boo-boos" (you cannot imagine how many band-aids we went through or what hypochondriacs we have raised), throwing rocks into the bay (who doesn't love to throw rocks?), and climbing the 75-foot observation tower (and no one fell off!).















The Ice Age Trail goes right by our house.  I suggested to the kids we walk home!  I think they were more excited about driving to the North Pole.  So, instead of walking home, we ate dinner and headed north to find our hotel in lovely little Egg Harbor.


Egg Harbor Sunset


After we were settled in our hotel (which I would definitely recommend, especially if you are a family and comfortable a few miles away from the thick of things in Fish Creek/Ephraim/Sister Bay), David agreed to accompany me to the harbor to watch the sunset.  The sunset was beautiful and the company was the best.  I loved being with my sweetie--and, even better, he was thrilled to be with me!  A lovely, lovely evening.


















Perfect end to a perfectly wonderful day.