Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Time stands still

Sara about 6 weeks ago.  With her best friend Pandy.

Time is standing still for Sara.  Right after we moved here, just as she turned seven months, she realized she's a strong sitter.  She entered that wonderful, delightful worry-free phase of sitting but not moving.  And she is still in that phase.  She is 9 months old now, but she is petite and doesn't go anywhere.  So we can pretend she's younger.  We swaddle her; she sleeps in the bassinet attachment; she enjoys her baby swing.  Greg and I sometimes laugh that she's frozen in time--we're used to babies who are busy moving onward and upwards--but really we think it's pretty great.

Her babyhood has gone by so fast--in a swirl of stress, frustration, worries, and changes that have had nothing to do with her.  I keep waiting to get a grip, for life to calm down, so I can pause and enjoy my sweet baby Sara.  And then I realize how quickly her babyhood is slipping away. It's not fair, I frequently grumble to myself.  I want life to be peaceful, so I can sit quietly with my baby.

So I am, I realize, deeply grateful for this extra time at the "pinnacle of baby cuteness."  Whereas my other two babies were all over the place and into everything at this age, Sara has spent a little more time sitting quietly and cuddling (without the squirmy-wormies).  She doesn't seem quite as hurried to get out of babyhood. With life rushing past like an eighteen wheeler, I'm thankful sweet Sara is momentarily paused at this peaceful stage.  (It's not going to last much longer ... )