Thursday, September 5, 2013

Boise

Sara and I flew to Boise over the weekend to visit my grandmother and aunt.  (Flashbacks of this trip from Ohio to Idaho with a different baby girl.)

My 90-year-old grandma is in hospice care at home.  She did not recognize me--she doesn't recognize anyone really anymore.  She also often babbles incoherently, her words having little to no connection with the physical reality around her.  But she shared some sweet, tender moments with Sara.  The first night we were there, as we were putting my grandma to bed, she looked into Sara's face and gasped, "Oh, you're darling, you're just darling!"  There was this moment of lucidity, and it was like a veil lifted.  At some level I think they recognized each other.  And I am not surprised.  Sara is a special baby.  She needed to meet her great-grandmother in this life.

Later, on Sunday afternoon, my grandma played with Sara, bouncing her gently and singing her silly baby songs.  (None of the pictures convey the sweet way they were interacting.)  My grandma loves babies.  Loves and adored babies!  She has such love and patience for babies and small children and a natural ease with them.  I cherish the times she has played with my babies, cooing and comforting.  Though she held Sara on Sunday (it was adorable to watch), it was Friday night, I think, when there was that moment of real connection.

The real reason I went, however, was to visit my aunt Janell, my grandma's primary caregiver and best friend.  She has made tremendous sacrifices to allow my grandma to stay at home.  It was so wonderful to be with her.  Janell has an enormous heart.  She is quick to love and slow to judge.  She cultivates friendship everywhere.  I deeply admire her generosity.  When she sees a need, she is quick to act: she serves, cares, helps, and hugs.  Hugs!!  Her hugs are world famous!  (I don't have especially affectionate parents.  I think there were years when the only hugs I got were Janell's--but they were so good, the effects would last a year or more!)  I feel honored and humbled to have her example of faith and charity in my life.

I took pictures, which I will now post.  I do this somewhat hesitatingly.  My grandmother is a classy, lovely lady.  (She still gets her hair done every Saturday, thanks to Sandy, her hair dresser of 30 years who makes a special house call now just for my grandma.)  She would be HORRIFIED to know that I am posting pictures of her 90-year-old self for all the world to see.  Some of these pictures were taken during more lucid moments, but the camera didn't capture that.  But I also want to remember this trip, and, because I know my grandma, I can catch glimpses of her somewhere in there.  (I have a feeling that when I meet my grandma in the afterlife she's going to give me a little smack on the cheek for doing this.  This is a woman who refused canes and hearing aides and walkers for as long as possible and who, above all, would NEVER EVER tell me how old she was.  A real lady never reveals her age.)

These are a few of my very favorites:











And here are some others good ones:






























P.S.  Sara got her first haircut!  No, she doesn't have much hair.  But she was growing wings over her ears.  Those little shaggy baby fly-aways drive me nuts.  Sandy, my grandma's hairdresser, trimmed it perfectly in about two minutes with a pair of dull kitchen shears.  She is that good!!  She also declared Sara the best baby ever out of her 49 years of cutting hair!  Best baby ever!  That's our Sara.