Thursday, September 1, 2011

First day of school

Back to school!  Hip, hip, hooray!  We had a wonderful summer, but, boy, things have seriously deteriorated around here the last week or so...and it was time for school!  We were all so grumpy this week I wasn't sure if my kids would make it to school still in one piece.

Here are my little pumpkins this morning, happy as could be.




Here's my Montessori girl!  Mary was so excited to go back to school.  She is especially looking forward to mentoring the younger children.  She even prayed last night that she would be a good teacher.  (Hmmm...she really likes to boss, so we'll see how this goes...)




My first grader!  (By the way, in case you didn't know, I am the nicest mom in the world, and this picture proves it.  I resisted the urge to force my kid to wear a proper polo shirt on the first day of school.  Instead, I let him pick out a brand new shirt and let him go to school as a walking Lego billboard.  True, he is a walking Lego billboard most days, but I thought I might raise my standards for the first day of school.  But then I remembered how lazy nice I am.)


David was not nervous or anxious in the least.  (Is he my child????)  He didn't even want me to walk him to his classroom.  I could see that I was the ONLY mom not to walk her child in, camera in hand.  I just dumped him at the curb and took off.  At his request!  To be perfectly honest, I was relieved.  The clock was ticking:  I still had to get Mary to school extra early in order to be on time for Greg's post-op appointment with the surgeon.  (Yes, we celebrated back-to-school this year in our family with a surgery.  Didn't you?)

Wow.  I love that my kids both returned to the same school they were at last year.  They returned to people and places and routines that are familiar.  I think that might be something we call STABILITY.  It's nice to have a little.