Thursday, September 30, 2010

Best field trip ever

Yesterday I went on the best field trip ever!  (It was even better than the time my high school Physics class went to Magic Mountain.)

I think I've mentioned that I CANNOT STOP SIGNING UP FOR THINGS AT DAVID'S SCHOOL.  (Help!)  So, when I found out David and his class were going on a little field trip, guess who was first to volunteer as a chaperon.  Yours truly.

And I'm so glad I did!

I loved being with David!  And he loved being with me!

Kindergartners still think their moms are cool.  David was proud that I was there.  He was excited to share with me the THRILL of riding the school bus.  He even held my hand the whole way.  My heart was melting and soaring at the same time, a giant warm ice cream cone flying through the sky.  I am even more infatuated with that kid now than I was on the day he was born or the moment he took his first steps or the first time he told me he loved me.  He has captured my heart and holding it tight.

The field trip was a brief visit to the forest behind the high school.  Small groups of kindergartners were paired with small groups of high school Earth Science students.  The high school students took the children into the woods to explore and, most specifically, investigate the trees.

The high school students were infinitely more nervous than the five-year-olds.  But the kindergartners sweetly (and literally) took those tall teenagers by the hand and led them into the forest...where the uneasy, apathetic seniors were SCHOOLED by the six and under crowd.  The kindergartners enthusiastically collected leaves, all the while pointing out conifers and broad leaf trees and pine cones and leaves that no longer produce energy and needles and mushrooms and dead trees and live trees and caterpillar bites and tiny red berries.  The high school students grew wide-eyed at the knowledge and happiness possessed by the little ones, and they softened towards their new small friends.  It was an amazing thing to watch.

Soon the high school students had to return to class.  One sweet boy in David's class looked up at his tall senior friend, whose hand he had been grasping for thirty minutes, and said, "I go to a different school.  I'm sorry, but we won't be able to play together again."  Despite his gruff exterior, the young man was clearly touched.

The field trip ended with a guided tour through the forest, led by David's wonderful teacher.  Those kids were fascinated.  (Their favorite investigation was determining if broken branches had been felled by the wind or chainsaw.)  David still talks about the tree that grows in the shape of a rainbow so that its leaves might better reach the sunlight.  I love how much these children love to learn!

On the bus ride home, David thoughtfully insisted that I take the window seat.  (Isn't he sweet?)  And he cuddled with me all the way back to his classroom.

Yes, it was the best field trip ever.