Saturday, August 18, 2012

The bad news broken

So, yes, I'm pregnant.

Wait.  Let me try that again:

I'M PREGNANT!!!

Happy for me; happy for Greg.  Not necessarily happy for David and Mary, from their point of view anyway.  Considering their attitude about a baby ("No babies until we're in college!!!"), we were nervous to share to the bad news.

But we realized we had to.  I was just too sick to pretend like all was well--and they were old enough to ask questions.  ("Mom, why are you taking four naps today?"  "Mom, why are you eating toast for dinner?"  "Mom, how come you don't have to go to church but I do?"  "Mom, why are you still in your pajamas?")  It was a month or two earlier than I would have liked to tell them, but they seemed to deserve answers.

So we told them one night at the dinner table.  Their respective reactions were so classic and absolutely in line with their personalities.

David immediately leaped into my arms, shouted "Congratulations!!!" with tears of happiness in his eyes and a smile stretched across his face.

Mary immediately turned ashen, burst into tears of fear, and began hyperventilating with anxiety.  (Once she calmed down a little, we were able to ascertain that she was scared of the crying, the stinky diapers, and of crying and stinky diapers in her bedroom.  We assured her that she could keep her bedroom to herself and that, because she'd be going to school full-day, she would miss most of the crying and stinky diapers.  She calmed down.  Some.)

But that was then (May), this is now.  Now David doesn't think much about the baby.  But he does worry that the baby will get all of the attention.  David is such a cuddle-bug.  I assure him I will always have time for his fabulous hugs.  Plus, I remind him that I actually like hanging out with kids who can talk and discuss things  even more than I like cuddling babies.  (True fact.)

Mary, on the other hand, is completely obsessed with the baby.  OBSESSED.  She likes to give the baby hugs and kisses and will say things like, "I'm going to the store with Mommy and the baby."  She also talked me into digging out some of the baby things in storage, so we could oooh and aaahh over the cuteness of such sweet blankets and tiny clothes.  She cannot wait to go shopping with me for baby items.

Granted, Mary's happy obsession will likely end if this baby is a boy.  She's becoming more and more adverse to the idea of a baby brother.  (I shouldn't have let her look at all the cute pink blankets I have.  Darn.)  Her world may come crashing down in a week at the ultrasound.  Oh well.  (For the record, we all totally think it's a girl.  Even David.  His reasoning is that Mary prayed every night for a girl baby--so it will be a girl baby.  I'm not sure why Greg and I think it's a girl.  I was wrong with David and Mary, but I don't know if Greg was.  I'll have to ask.  Anyway, even though we think it's a girl, we don't have a preference.  We have one of each, and there's a big age gap, so we just feel neutral--and grateful, very grateful.)

I do have to credit David and Mary for keeping the baby a secret.  We told them it was a special family secret, and they took it very seriously.  Mary never told a soul.  And David kept the secret for over a month, which must be a record for a seven-year-old.  I'm so proud of them! (Incidentally, David spilled the beans in a hot tub with his friends. He confessed to me soon thereafter.  I asked him why he told, and he said that pregnancy just came up, and he couldn't help it.  The image of four seven-year-old boys lounging in a hot tub discussing pregnancy is just too rich.  Besides, by then I was starting to tell my friends.  I figure he could tell his too.)

I have so much I want to write about concerning this pregnancy.  Expect a big long post where I wallow in self-pity about being sick.  (The worst first trimester of any of my pregnancies!  Bleck.)  Despite spending the summer in bed--or perhaps because of it--I have been especially reflective this time around (and very very very little of it is self-pity, I promise).  And I hope to record some of those thoughts.

First, I need to post my pictures from the summer.  (This has been the longest, dullest summer ever.  But when I look at my pictures I realize it wasn't all bad.)  This week we are headed back up to Door County.  Hooray!!  (Our first trip anywhere this summer.)  So the posting will have to wait until we get back.

In the meantime, I leave you with this list of names David and Mary have brainstormed for the baby.  (As you can see, most of them are girl names.)  Also, I will let you guess who came up with which name.

Rainbow Love
Hannah Montana
David 2
Becca
Conifer
Brooke
Sicky (not to be confused with Licky)

See you in a week!