Monday, August 27, 2012

Summer vacation! Peninsula State Park

Tuesday morning we headed straight to Peninsula State Park.  Last year we only drove through, so we couldn't wait to get back there this summer for some recreating.  


Horseshoe Island

First we put our kayaks in the water, rented a canoe, and paddled from Nicolet Bay to Horseshoe Island.


Heading out.


My sweet little crew on Horseshoe Island.


I was there too.


Leaving Horseshoe Island.


The men.


David and Mary did great!


Nicolet Beach


After the journey to Horseshoe Island and back, we relaxed for a couple of hours at Nicolet Beach.  David has decided he loves paddling, so Greg took him out in one of the kayaks.  The conditions were perfect--shallow and calm--and he had a great time.  Meanwhile, my parents went for a bike ride, and Mary played on the beach.  David later joined Mary in her engineering projects.  It was a lovely afternoon.



















Sunset Trail

Before calling it a day and heading back to the hotel for the swimming pool, we wanted to check out the Sunset Trail.  Our kids are finally getting into a groove with family bike rides, and they were excited to go for one.  We decided to start at the trail head and finish at the Eagle Bluff Lighthouse, where my parents would meet us.

It's a beautiful trail!  Through lovely, peaceful forests and along the lake shore.  This, however, is the only picture I got.  David kicked my pregnant rear!  We let David set the pace, and he was on fire!  My cardiovascular system gives out when I'm pregnant (just one of the two thousand things I don't like about being pregnant).  So I could barely catch my breath, let alone take a picture.  (Mary helpfully yelled back to me, "Mom!  Just peddle your feet faster and then you'll catch up!!"  Thank you, sweetheart.)




But we (I) finally made it, alive.  Phew!  Here's the lighthouse, the view, and the boy who kicked my booty with his bike.