Friday, April 5, 2013

Big sister love

Mary continues to adore her baby sister.  Though, sometimes she treats Sara more like a doll than a little person, which makes me (and Sara) a bit nervous.  But what continues to impress us is how helpful Mary is with Sara.  

Mary loving on Baby Sara back in February.

A few weeks ago the girls and I drove to Ohio to look at a Montessori school.  Driving 500 miles each way for a one hour visit to a school seemed like a perfectly normal thing to do.  Looking back, I realize I was a little bit crazy.  The point is that I could not have done it without Mary!  She was amazing.  She sat right next to Sara in the car and took care of her, wiping her spit-up and giving her a pacifier.  Mary was incredibly patient when I had to stop to nurse Sara.  And she was mature and understanding when I had to drag us all to the bathroom for the umpteenth time to change Sara or when buying her lunch was delayed even more while I calmed a hysterical baby or when I insisted we eat our food on the go in the car so we wouldn't lose more time or when I needed her to carefully hold Sara because I didn't have enough hands.  Sara and I literally could not have traveled to Ohio without Mary.  Of course, Mary needed to go--it was her future school we were visiting after all.  But I came home with an even deeper appreciation for Mary.  It's kind of a strange feeling--to really truly need the help of one of your children.  It's kind of a neat feeling.

How I love my girls.  Aren't they beautiful?

Mary and Sara on Easter Sunday.  Mary at age 5 and a half and Sara at almost 3 months.